+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Canadian Permanent Residency

JackHud

May 2, 2022
I was a Canadian Permanent Residence from 2014 till 2019. In 2015 I also received my US green card. I did visit Canada twice, once in 2014 and other in 2016. Both times I was asked that when will you move to Canada and I told them that I will move in next couple of months. But I did not move and I stayed back in USA because of my job. Recently I got my US passport and I want to visit Canada again. I am just curious to know that now when I come Canada on US passport, what kind of questions will they ask me? I am 100% sure that Canadian border officials will know that I had Canadian Permanent Residence from 2014 till 2019. Will I be in trouble for not moving to Canada? And if they ask me that why you did not use your Canadian Permanent Residency, then what should I reply?. I will be landing Toronto Pearson International Airport

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I was a Canadian Permanent Residence from 2014 till 2019. In 2015 I also received my US green card. I did visit Canada twice, once in 2014 and other in 2016. Both times I was asked that when will you move to Canada and I told them that I will move in next couple of months. But I did not move and I stayed back in USA because of my job. Recently I got my US passport and I want to visit Canada again. I am just curious to know that now when I come Canada on US passport, what kind of questions will they ask me? I am 100% sure that Canadian border officials will know that I had Canadian Permanent Residence from 2014 till 2019. Will I be in trouble for not moving to Canada? And if they ask me that why you did not use your Canadian Permanent Residency, then what should I reply?. I will be landing Toronto Pearson International Airport
No way to know for sure what, if anything, will be asked. Travelling on US passport, expect that they will ask purpose of visit and how long. If they ask about non-compliance with PR RO, answer truthfully.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can they deport me back to USA for non-compliance with PR
They will let you in to Canada but MAY initiate a report (start of the process to strip your PR status for non-compliance).

At that point you could appeal, or voluntarily renounce, or let them strip your PR status and you'd lose it anyway. It's unlikely you'd be able to win the appeal or retain status as PR if you didn't actually reside in and intend to reside in Canada.

JackHud

May 2, 2022
But my Canadian PR already expired in 2019. Why would they initiate a report (start of the process to strip your PR status for non-compliance)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But my Canadian PR already expired in 2019. Why would they initiate a report (start of the process to strip your PR status for non-compliance)?
Only your PR card expired - not your PR status. You are still a PR. You just haven't met the residency obligation as a PR which is why there's a good chance the non-compliance process would be initiated against you.

Reactions: armoured

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
PR status doesn’t expire; the date you are thinking of is probably the date on your PR card which is close to meaningless. Unless your PR status is revoked or you renounce, you remain a PR.