+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchanging licence in Ontario

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hello all,

Can one exchange her/his foreign driving license (from a country with reciprocal exchange agreement http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx), after getting G1.

My wife is planning to get license from Great Britain. We are thinking of applying G1 license, but I am afraid if her GB license wont be exchanged afterward. Anyone has any idea or experience?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if they've changed those rules but it used to be that if you got a G1 license without mentioning that you have a foreign license you want to exchange, you were stuck in their GDL system.

So.. if she has a GB license, she needs to mention that when she goes to get her license in Ontario. They should exchange it for a G2 license even if it's brand new and with G2 she can at least drive alone.

siroccoon

Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-05-2013
Med's Request
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
24-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2014
LANDED..........
01-03-2015
You need a driving abstract to exchange your license.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
I don't know if they've changed those rules but it used to be that if you got a G1 license without mentioning that you have a foreign license you want to exchange, you were stuck in their GDL system.

So.. if she has a GB license, she needs to mention that when she goes to get her license in Ontario. They should exchange it for a G2 license even if it's brand new and with G2 she can at least drive alone.
1. Not quite as the OP appears to have been driving for less than 2 years. From the Ontario site:

Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)

You need to take:

an eye test, when you apply
one road test (the G2 road test)

You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.

Conditions for G1

G1 licence

By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt
not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)
drive with a fully licensed driver who has:
at least four years of driving experience
a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)

The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat. If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

In most cases, you practice with your G1 licence for 12 months.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks everyone for the answers ...

Leon said:

My wife is in the process of getting her UK driving licence (full licence), she has her road exam on Sept., she will be back to the UK by then. We just want to have a photo ID for her, issued by Canadian (federal/provincial) government. We are just thinking of ON photo ID vs G1 licence, thats why I put this question. We wont lie while applying for G1, we just do not want to wait for a year (or 8 months) more to get G2.

siroccoon said:
Thanks for the info. We were not aware of this. Thank you so much. Will google for this, if needed.

PMM said:
Hi

1. Not quite as the OP appears to have been driving for less than 2 years. From the Ontario site:

You need to take:

You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

Conditions for G1

G1 licence

not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)
drive with a fully licensed driver who has:
a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)

The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat. If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

Thank you for the info. We are aware that if one exchange UK licence, s/he will get G2 with less than 2 years of driving experience. Below is excerpt from MTO website (http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx)

Note:

If you have less than two years of full class driving experience, you may get credit for your experience for graduated licencing and be issued a Class G2 or M2 licence. Once you have a total of two years of driving experience, you may take the G or M road test to earn full driving privileges.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

You need to take:

Conditions for G1

G1 licence

drive with a fully licensed driver who ha:

There is a mistake on the Ontario website where they say "while you wait you can drive with your G1 license". It should be G2.

So, she doesn't get to do the G2 road test which would get her a G license because she doesn't have 2 years experience. She would however get to do the G1 road test that would get her a G2 license. However, she most likely will not have to do a road test at all because she has a UK licence and an exchange agreement.

You can read about this here: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

Licence Exchange

With driving experience of less than two years in the last three years:

· You will be eligible to do an exchange of your licence, equivalent to Ontario’s class ‘G2’ novice licence. You must serve the remainder of the mandatory wait period before you are eligible to take the "G" road test to get a full Ontario class ‘G’ licence.

· You are required to present your driver’s licence. An expired full class licence is acceptable as long as it has not expired for over one year at the time of the exchange. If the licence has expired over one year and/or is a novice class licence, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years.
You can see this under the Ontario info too at http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence if you look under "Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange)"

Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange)

When you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to:

- take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
- take an eye test

Before you get a full licence, you also need to take two road tests (G1 and G2).

You can book the first road test (G1 road test), after you pass the written and eye tests.

After you pass your G1 road test, you cannot take your G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you have one, full year of driving experience. For example, if you’ve had your foreign licence for 8 months, you can take your G2 road test after 4 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

angeljhun21

Jul 4, 2015
hello sir leon this might be out of your topic. ijust wanna ask some help lang po sana
kasi po ung future to be husband ko is na petition ng mother nia sa canada and na approved naman po ung petition at andun na po sila nung june 13.2015....
after po nila makuha ung pr card nung baby namin uuwi po sila ng philippines by the end of august at mag cicivil wedding po kami, after 1 month mga september babalik na sia dun pwede na po kaya nia ako i petition as spouse? kahit kakakuha lang po nia ng pr card? thanks po ng marami please help anyone.. sorry d q po kasi alam mag start ng new trend :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
angeljhun21 said:
hello sir leon this might be out of your topic. ijust wanna ask some help lang po sana
kasi po ung future to be husband ko is na petition ng mother nia sa canada and na approved naman po ung petition at andun na po sila nung june 13.2015....
after po nila makuha ung pr card nung baby namin uuwi po sila ng philippines by the end of august at mag cicivil wedding po kami, after 1 month mga september babalik na sia dun pwede na po kaya nia ako i petition as spouse? kahit kakakuha lang po nia ng pr card? thanks po ng marami please help anyone.. sorry d q po kasi alam mag start ng new trend :)
Hello angeljhun21. I understand from your post that you are asking me for help. However, I do not understand your post. Can you write in English please?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
siroccoon said:
You don't need a driving abstract to exchange a UK licence as the photocard has all the date information already on it.
I offered my driving abstract when I exchanged mine 6 months ago and they were not the slightest interested in seeing it.

angeljhun21

Jul 4, 2015
Leon said:
Hello angeljhun21. I understand from your post that you are asking me for help. However, I do not understand your post. Can you write in English please?
angeljhun21 said:
hi guys i urgently need a help ...
ok so my future-to-be husband was petitioned by his mother with our son. and the petition was approved,they're now in canada last june 13,2015 waiting for their PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD,,, and at the end of august my husband and son (1 yr old and 7 months) will be coming back here in the philippines for us to have a civil wedding (BECAUSE WE'RE NOT YET MARRIED AND HE WAS PETITIONED AS A SINGLE STUDENT) and after 1 month my husband would be going back to canada and will be working. so my question is can he already process and apply a spousal sponsorship? and can u please help me out on how to prepare everything..PLEASE GUYS I NEED HELP

angeljhun21

Jul 4, 2015
Leon said:
angeljhun21 said:
hi guys i urgently need a help ...
ok so my future-to-be husband was petitioned by his mother with our son. and the petition was approved,they're now in canada last june 13,2015 waiting for their PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD,,, and at the end of august my husband and son (1 yr old and 7 months) will be coming back here in the philippines for us to have a civil wedding (BECAUSE WE'RE NOT YET MARRIED AND HE WAS PETITIONED AS A SINGLE STUDENT) and after 1 month my husband would be going back to canada and will be working. so my question is can he already process and apply a spousal sponsorship? and can u please help me out on how to prepare everything..PLEASE GUYS I NEED HELP

angeljhun21

Jul 4, 2015
Leon said:
Please chedk ur inbox thankyou