+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

exchange driver license problem !

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Dear Ms/Sir

Good Day

I'm a newcomer to Canada. I read the instructions about exchanging my driver license from my country and the instructions states that I must submit a (written conformation of my driving experience ) to get credit toward my Ontario license

the problem is that in my country, the transportation ministry does not accept to write any conformation! they said the only way to confirm if they get a formal inquiry by Ontario ministry of transportation by mail or phone !

I have 10 years of driving experience and I have home country my driver license in addition to an International driver license.

please help me solve this problem

thanks for your help

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Dear Ms/Sir

Good Day

I'm a newcomer to Canada. I read the instructions about exchanging my driver license from my country and the instructions states that I must submit a (written conformation of my driving experience ) to get credit toward my Ontario license

the problem is that in my country, the transportation ministry does not accept to write any conformation! they said the only way to confirm if they get a formal inquiry by Ontario ministry of transportation by mail or phone !

I have 10 years of driving experience and I have home country my driver license in addition to an International driver license.

please help me solve this problem

thanks for your help
Somebody on forum mentioned that the current and previous DL showed enough experince... Looks like your current DL confirms at least one year.
"...You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence..."

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Somebody on forum mentioned that the current and previous DL showed enough experince... Looks like your current DL confirms at least one year.
"...You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence..."

Thank you for your reply , My CURRENT driving license issue date is 2012 and it is valid till 2022. I know that i can claim 1 year of driving experience but this will lead to G2 license and I wont be able to apply for full license ( G ) .

From What i heard there is a HUGE difference in the insurance fees for someone who holds a G2 license vs someone who have a full G license

thank you for your reply , I would really appreciate the reply of anybody who got the G2 license or is in the same situation as me .

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Thank you for your reply , My CURRENT driving license issue date is 2012 and it is valid till 2022. I know that i can claim 1 year of driving experience but this will lead to G2 license and I wont be able to apply for full license ( G ) .

From What i heard there is a HUGE difference in the insurance fees for someone who holds a G2 license vs someone who have a full G license

Also I heard that you can not rent a car in ontario with a G2 driving license!!!!!!!!

thank you for your reply , I would really appreciate the reply of anybody who got the G2 license or is in the same situation as me .

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Why don't you try cintacting the police of your home country instead ?

Maybe they can give you an extract, even if noincidents on it, it proves that your DL is registered and valid.

Just something to try. Maybe you could even do it online.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
My wife and I didn't need a specific extract, as UK licences have a date that you first qualified for your licence, so that was taken as proof of driving experience by Services Ontario when converting, they were perfectly happy to accept our UK photo driving licence (although I do understand that other countries do not have such a date on the licence, which seems to be the problem).

Just stating my own experience here.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My wife and I didn't need a specific extract, as UK licences have a date that you first qualified for your licence, so that was taken as proof of driving experience by Services Ontario when converting, they were perfectly happy to accept our UK photo driving licence (although I do understand that other countries do not have such a date on the licence, which seems to be the problem).

Just stating my own experience here.
This is absolutely correct. The fact that the UK photocard has the start of entitlement on it is sufficient. They were offered my records when I went to exchange and they said they were not interested, as they had what they needed.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
This is absolutely correct. The fact that the UK photocard has the start of entitlement on it is sufficient. They were offered my records when I went to exchange and they said they were not interested, as they had what they needed.
Yes, I too dutifully had my DVLA printed extract, but didn't even need to show it.

Still PO'd that there is no reciprocal agreement to convert my UK motorbike licence, so going through the Canadian test for a motorbike - grrrr….

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, I too dutifully had my DVLA printed extract, but didn't even need to show it.

Still PO'd that there is no reciprocal agreement to convert my UK motorbike licence, so going through the Canadian test for a motorbike - grrrr….
That and any other "exotic" entitlements are also ignored...