+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchange a Quebec driver’s license to an Ontario driver’s license

erikyle

Feb 21, 2021
So I have my QC class 5 full license. I will move to GTA in July. By then I will have my class 5 full license for 18 months. On my driving record it show I have 38 months driving experience by today (42 months of driving experience by July, and the document didn’t indicate where I gained the experience ) because I had a driver license from another country prior moving to Quebec (It cannot be exchanged directly to a Canadian driver license so I took a knowledge test and a road test in Montreal). But I read (https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence) I need 2 years driving experience to get a G driver license in Ontario or I will have a G2 which means an additional road test and more expensive car insurance.

tl;dr On my QC driver license there will be only 18 months (Nov 2019 to Jul 2021), but meanwhile the driver record by SAAQ shows 42 months. I am wondering if anyone was in the same situation. In this case can I get a G license instead of a G2 license in ON?

Thank you!

umeno

Apr 18, 2016
Your class 5 from Quebec could probably be directly exchanged for a full G in Ontario otherwise, worst case, you might just have to take a driving test.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Give them a call to ask and you'll know for sure, as there may be subtle differences depending on the exact situation. However, in general:
If your previous (pre-QC) driving experience is from a country that has an exchange agreement with ON (list on the page you linked: USA, Australia, Austria, ....), then they can add the 18 months in QC to the period during which you held a full license in one of those jurisdictions and evaluate the total against the 2-year threshold for a full G.
Otherwise (prior experience not in any of those jurisdictions) or if the total doesn't add up to 2 years, you'd get the G2, have to wait until you reach 2 years, then take the test for a G license.

erikyle

Feb 21, 2021
Give them a call to ask and you'll know for sure, as there may be subtle differences depending on the exact situation. However, in general:
If your previous (pre-QC) driving experience is from a country that has an exchange agreement with ON (list on the page you linked: USA, Australia, Austria, ....), then they can add the 18 months in QC to the period during which you held a full license in one of those jurisdictions and evaluate the total against the 2-year threshold for a full G.
Otherwise (prior experience not in any of those jurisdictions) or if the total doesn't add up to 2 years, you'd get the G2, have to wait until you reach 2 years, then take the test for a G license.
The tricky part would be my QC driving record only shows I have 40-ish months of driving experience. It didn't mention where I gained the driving experience before getting my QC driver's license.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
The tricky part would be my QC driving record only shows I have 40-ish months of driving experience. It didn't mention where I gained the driving experience before getting my QC driver's license.
Oh no, the QC driving record will only be used for the QC history. You will need to provide the extract of wherever you held that earlier license that you would have been able to exchange (plus old license photocopy or expired license, most likely).
Again, give them a call to know for sure.

amir2552

Sep 13, 2020
So I have my QC class 5 full license. I will move to GTA in July. By then I will have my class 5 full license for 18 months. On my driving record it show I have 38 months driving experience by today (42 months of driving experience by July, and the document didn’t indicate where I gained the experience ) because I had a driver license from another country prior moving to Quebec (It cannot be exchanged directly to a Canadian driver license so I took a knowledge test and a road test in Montreal). But I read (https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence) I need 2 years driving experience to get a G driver license in Ontario or I will have a G2 which means an additional road test and more expensive car insurance.

tl;dr On my QC driver license there will be only 18 months (Nov 2019 to Jul 2021), but meanwhile the driver record by SAAQ shows 42 months. I am wondering if anyone was in the same situation. In this case can I get a G license instead of a G2 license in ON?

Thank you!
I have a similar issue. Could you find an answer to your question?
Can we exchange our Quebec driving license for a full G?

erikyle

Feb 21, 2021
I have a similar issue. Could you find an answer to your question?
Can we exchange our Quebec driving license for a full G?
I asked a friend from Alberta who was in the same situation. He provided Ontario driving administration with his driving record and got a full G license. I'll provide my driving record and notice of paying the annual fee (indicated my driving history) to increase my odds.

amir2552

Sep 13, 2020
I asked a friend from Alberta who was in the same situation. He provided Ontario driving administration with his driving record and got a full G license. I'll provide my driving record and notice of paying the annual fee (indicated my driving history) to increase my odds.
Good news, I hope everything goes well/
Please update me if you could get the Full G license.
Thanks

Reactions: erikyle

chhken

Jul 24, 2021
Hi Erikyle,

I'm wondering if you have any new updates on the exchange? I'm on the same boat here and would really appreciate some insights of this.

Thanks!