+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Evidence of relationship - Two questions - Photos and References

roverb

Jul 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did use the search function for these questions but I got a lot of somewhat unrelated results back, as well as conflicting answers.

1. How do you send in your photos? All of my "evidence" is in digital form. Do I print these photos out or is it better to include the photos in a word document with captions and then print those sheets out and include them? I've read of people doing both but I am not sure which is preferred. I have hundreds of photos, although they only account for half our relationship since I did not own a camera before.

2. Do you need anything in terms of letters from people who know you as a couple? If so, how many and do they need to be notarized?

Thank you for your time. I do my best to research on my own but sometimes you need a more tailored answer or just to have it cleared up.

newlife23

Feb 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala Lumpur
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th October 2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2012
LANDED..........
Landed with God's grace on 7/3/2012
If you are applying as common-law spouse, then yes, you need 2 notarized letter attesting your relationship. Otherwise just letters of support will do. I printed out all my pictures, 3 copies on 1 page on an A4 paper and then write where and when pictures taken, who are in the pictures from left to right etc.

roverb

Jul 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We are married, not common law. So then just letters of support? Should they be notarized or something else specific?

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
If you are married then you do not need notarized letters. However if you wish to send in letters from friends or family attesting to your relationship then you can. It is not required but the more 'proof' the better right?

In terms of photos, I printed out the photos and wrote a brief description on the back of each, who was in the pic, when/where etc. I don't think it matters how you present them, its totally personal choice.

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
roverb said:
1. How do you send in your photos? All of my "evidence" is in digital form. Do I print these photos out or is it better to include the photos in a word document with captions and then print those sheets out and include them? I've read of people doing both but I am not sure which is preferred. I have hundreds of photos, although they only account for half our relationship since I did not own a camera before.
Print the photos out, yes: either as individual photo prints, or by adding them to a word doc and printing them out that way. They must be loose, so no staples, paperclips, tape or glue to stick them to anything. I've seen some people print photos out in word with annotations underneath each; in our application, we got individual photo prints made and simply added annotations on the back of each. It's great that you have lots of photos. Try to include photos from all the different parts of your relationship. When you say the ones you have account for half of your relationship, does that include before the wedding? I ask because the more you're able to document your relationship before marriage, the more it should help to establish your case. If anyone else (friends, family, anyone) took photos of you during that time, ask them to send them over so you can print them out and include them with your evidence.

newlife23 said:
If you are applying as common-law spouse, then yes, you need 2 notarized letter attesting your relationship. Otherwise just letters of support will do.
I didn't know that about common-law spouses... I ignored everything related to common-law since it didn't apply to us. Seems so complicated! As for letters of support... My parents, who were in Canada at the time of our engagement, couldn't be physically present at the engagement ceremony since it was too short notice—and plane tickets to Vietnam aren't cheap. They wanted to respect the Vietnamese tradition, though, which insists that both sides of the family must be present at the engagement ceremony (the engagement is sometimes said to be even more important than the actual marriage in Vietnam). Instead, they sent written statements over to Vietnam to be read at the engagement ceremony, saying that they fully supported our relationship, that they were appointing certain people to act in their stead for the ceremony, and so on. In the end, though, it turned out we were able to get them to connect via Skype so that they could watch the ceremony remotely and even address the guests themselves, with translation. So although they ended up not being essential, we basically got to use those letters of support as evidence.

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
pinklady said:
In terms of photos, I printed out the photos and wrote a brief description on the back of each, who was in the pic, when/where etc. I don't think it matters how you present them, its totally personal choice.
Agreed, except that I was specifically told that the photos had to be loose, i.e. unattached to anything. So in terms of presentation, printing them out with annotations on loose leaf sheets would be better than, say, putting them into a photo album.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
dangerJones said:
Agreed, except that I was specifically told that the photos had to be loose, i.e. unattached to anything. So in terms of presentation, printing them out with annotations on loose leaf sheets would be better than, say, putting them into a photo album.
Right, thanks for clarifying what I said.
Photo albums are a big no no!! As is anything in digital format.

roverb

Jul 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the explanations. As for photos from BEFORE the wedding, yes most of them are actually before as we just got married in August. I have hundreds from before and quite a few from events since (of course tons of the wedding and honeymoon)

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
roverb said:
Thanks for the explanations. As for photos from BEFORE the wedding, yes most of them are actually before as we just got married in August. I have hundreds from before and quite a few from events since (of course tons of the wedding and honeymoon)
That should be fine then. My wife and I started communicating with each other in April 2008, but the first time we met in person was in March 2009, so naturally we have no photos before then. As long as you document all the major events in the development of your relationship, you should be fine. And of course, supplement the photos and fill any remaining gaps with communication records (e-mails, chat, phone/SMS bills, letters and postcards, etc), travel records, and so on.

roverb

Jul 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well we've actually been living together the entire time. My situation is kinda complicated but basically I am out of status and have been living here 11 years. I am applying outland and have been advised to be honest about the situation and I won't be denied simply based on being here that long out of status.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
I was under the impression that if you apply outland from within canada then you must have legal status. However you can be without legal status applying inland.

Be aware that if you apply outland and are required to attend a interview, it will be at the embassy representing your home country.

roverb

Jul 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow well then back to the researching. This is all so confusing. I thought legal status was not needed regardless of how you are applying. I guess that might be wrong.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
roverb said:
Well we've actually been living together the entire time. My situation is kinda complicated but basically I am out of status and have been living here 11 years. I am applying outland and have been advised to be honest about the situation and I won't be denied simply based on being here that long out of status.
Our immigration consultant said that you can apply either inland or out when out of status, but the only issue is that as mentioned, if called for an interview you will have to leave Canada and then if for some reason your application is denied, you may not be able to re-enter. Inland is not mandatory for out of status applicants, but is safer, since you won't have to leave for the interview. Keep in mind though, that if you apply inland, you forfeit the right to appeal if your case is denied.

roverb

Jul 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes how you explain it is how I've always researched it and the same conclusion I have come to. I started another thread just to clarify it as others might also need this information.

I realize I might have to leave for an interview, but the loss of any chance to appeal is too big a risk for me.