+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eta

Gvirk35

Aug 1, 2018
I am Italian citizen and booked an air canada flight for myself and my At the time they didn't ask if he was , thus nothing alerted me to tell him to get an eta. We were completely unaware that this was coming into effect! We have a flight leaving tomorrow and have only just applied for an eta for him. I only knew he needed one as I couldn't check him in online - otherwise I wouldn't have a clue! It has been over 30 minutes now and it has yet to be approved. It simply says: "A review of your file is underway. You will be advised within 72 hours of next steps regarding your application." My question is - will he not be able to board?? Will we forfeit his ticket?? Should he even bother coming to the airport with me? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED - thank you so much in advance!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
An ETA has been a mandatory requirement for visa exempt passport holders since 9/2016 and also this requirement is stated on the Air Canada website granted it is buried under travel documents but is there. ETAs are often approved fairly quickly unless someone has some history or has answered a question negatively thus needing a separate review hence the 72 hour response.

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html

Without an ETA it would not be possible to board a flight given check in will have a board / no board displayed in front of them. There is always a possibility it could be approved between now and your flight so a difficult decision to turn up at the airport or not. If don’t go to the airport and the approval comes through that would be a shame so your decision but nothing to lose really by going to the airport in case. Guessing you have a non refundable non changeable ticket as well.

Only other alternative would be to get an ESTA for the US and travel via the US/Canada land border as ETA not required that route but that means a new ticket of course to the US. Again an ESTA application is generally approved in minutes unless any questions cause concern for a secondary review.

Good luck hope the approval comes through in time and ensure check email inbox AND spam folder

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla