+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA Extension?

Canadian995

Aug 31, 2020
My common-law partner, a UK citizen, will be traveling with me, a Canadian citizen, to Canada on an ETA visa whilst his Family Sponsorship visa is processed. The processing time for this visa is currently saying it can take up to 12 months. We are aware that he can only stay 6 months on the ETA visa, but that he is able to request an extension. We are concerned that if he cannot stay past these 6 months and his visa isn't approved by then, we will have to spend multiple months apart if he needs to go back home until his visa gets approved. If he does get accepted for the ETA extension, is there a cap on this? Or would they likely allow him to stay until the visa has been processed?

Bbarhamc

Jun 5, 2020
My common-law partner, a UK citizen, will be traveling with me, a Canadian citizen, to Canada on an ETA visa whilst his Family Sponsorship visa is processed. The processing time for this visa is currently saying it can take up to 12 months. We are aware that he can only stay 6 months on the ETA visa, but that he is able to request an extension. We are concerned that if he cannot stay past these 6 months and his visa isn't approved by then, we will have to spend multiple months apart if he needs to go back home until his visa gets approved. If he does get accepted for the ETA extension, is there a cap on this? Or would they likely allow him to stay until the visa has been processed?
I am going through the same , we entered Canada with an ETA and the officer stamped my passport for 6 months, he just said to ask for an extension 30 days before it expires so that’s what we will do in the next coming weeks. We submitted our inland application 3 months ago

Canadian995

Aug 31, 2020
I am going through the same , we entered Canada with an ETA and the officer stamped my passport for 6 months, he just said to ask for an extension 30 days before it expires so that’s what we will do in the next coming weeks. We submitted our inland application 3 months ago

Ah I see. Do you have any idea how long the extension can be for? Also, did you tell the people at the border that you was planning on staying there until your VISA is approved because I’ve heard that they aren’t too keen on people doing that as you’re only meant to be visiting!

Lastly, did you have any trouble getting into Canada as the borders are closed?

Bbarhamc

Jun 5, 2020
Ah I see. Do you have any idea how long the extension can be for? Also, did you tell the people at the border that you was planning on staying there until your VISA is approved because I’ve heard that they aren’t too keen on people doing that as you’re only meant to be visiting!

Lastly, did you have any trouble getting into Canada as the borders are closed?
They told me it depends but they can give you additional 6 months, sometimes a year. We explained at the border that we all are relocating to Canada as we lost our jobs in the USA and that we were going to apply for my permanent residence. They were very nice and understanding

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
They told me it depends but they can give you additional 6 months, sometimes a year. We explained at the border that we all are relocating to Canada as we lost our jobs in the USA and that we were going to apply for my permanent residence. They were very nice and understanding
When did you cross the border as I thought they was closed?

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
It is closed with some exceptions.. including Canadians returning to Canada , which was our case, we were living in the US and we lost our jobs
Ahhh I see, so obviously you're not both from Canada. Where is your partner from and what were they like at the border?

Bbarhamc

Jun 5, 2020
Ahhh I see, so obviously you're not both from Canada. Where is your partner from and what were they like at the border?
My husband is the Canadian citizen, I am Italian and we have a daughter together. They were very nice at the border .. the officer told me about the inland process and that I should always keep a valid status (so request an extension before it expires )

Reactions: YVR123

RockyStar1985

Apr 20, 2017
My husband is the Canadian citizen, I am Italian and we have a daughter together. They were very nice at the border .. the officer told me about the inland process and that I should always keep a valid status (so request an extension before it expires )
hi Bbarhamc,
Did you apply for the extension, I am in a similar situation with my 8 months old son, he entered Canada on ETA (Irish citizen), I need to apply for his extension. both I and my wife are permanent residents, was wondering if you can advise on the process. is this going to be a new application for the visa?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Reactions: RockyStar1985