+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

error on U.S. nonimmigrant visa question in IRCC

Mar 10, 2011
I have a valid U.S. nonimmigrant visa on my expired passport last 2018. In question "Are you using a different passport for this application than the one you used to get your U.S. nonimmigrant visa?", I answered yes because I already renewed my passport. The problem or the error is when I entered the issued date on my expired passport which is Jan. 18, 2011. The only option I can select is from Oct to Dec for 2011 but if I change it to 2012, the month selection is complete from Jan to Dec. Where can I report the error or my answer should have been No from the start?

AJSAWANT

Sep 8, 2017
I have a valid U.S. nonimmigrant visa on my expired passport last 2018. In question "Are you using a different passport for this application than the one you used to get your U.S. nonimmigrant visa?", I answered yes because I already renewed my passport. The problem or the error is when I entered the issued date on my expired passport which is Jan. 18, 2011. The only option I can select is from Oct to Dec for 2011 but if I change it to 2012, the month selection is complete from Jan to Dec. Where can I report the error or my answer should have been No from the start?
I have similar situation, How you submitted a application?

AJSAWANT

Sep 8, 2017
facing same issue, what should we do ?
Hi Anil,

How about selecting Answering Question

Are you using a different passport for this application than the one you used to get your U.S. nonimmigrant visa? (required)

NO

and proving explanation in letter as attachment ?

anil.sharma

Nov 23, 2018
Hi Anil,

How about selecting Answering Question

Are you using a different passport for this application than the one you used to get your U.S. nonimmigrant visa? (required)

NO

and proving explanation in letter as attachment ?
Yes, looks like this is only way now
IRCC portal website not updated since Sep 16.

mfaiazuddin

Nov 21, 2021
Yes i think it is the best way to select the option no and when they are asking to upload the US visa we can upload the visa and letter of explanation why we have selected no. I tried many ways to contact IRCC but no use.
Any other feedback please

mfaiazuddin

Nov 21, 2021
Guys i have another question if any one can help me.

In the section of documents upload they are asking me to submit IMMIGRATION STATUS (PROOF).
I am indian national working in Saudi Arabia since 1997. In this case should i provide my ID of Saudi Arabia or any other documents and selection the option of WORKER or FOREIGN NATIONAL.

krkk2022

Jun 24, 2022
I have a valid H1b I797 till 2025, but my Visa stamping in passport is expired.
When applying for Visitor Visa in the new portal it asks for non-immigration visa number and doesn't accept i797 number(saying Visa number must be less10 charecters). does any one faced this issue? how to move forward with this situation?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I have a valid H1b I797 till 2025, but my Visa stamping in passport is expired.
When applying for Visitor Visa in the new portal it asks for non-immigration visa number and doesn't accept i797 number(saying Visa number must be less10 charecters). does any one faced this issue? how to move forward with this situation?
Visa number is not the i797 number. Its the number on your Visa printed in Red color. Google it, you will get the clarity.

krkk2022

Jun 24, 2022
Visa number is not the i797 number. Its the number on your Visa printed in Red color. Google it, you will get the clarity.
Yes, I understand that, but my Visa on passport is expired and the portal doesn't even has option to enter expired dates. How do I show in the application that I have a valid status to stay and come back to US using the I797 ?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes, I understand that, but my Visa on passport is expired and the portal doesn't even has option to enter expired dates. How do I show in the application that I have a valid status to stay and come back to US using the I797 ?
I am not aware of this scenario. May be it wouldn't allow to enter those expired dates. That doesn't serve as a proof that you will go back to US, it is asked because US & Canada share some data and that might speed up the process as per few folks. Other proofs like employment, paystubs, tax returns are the key to prove that you ll go back. Do not worry on this Visa thing, you can simply click 'No' but attach your i797 in your document list(in extras column ).

Reactions: krkk2022

gscanada1234

Nov 17, 2021
I am not aware of this scenario. May be it wouldn't allow to enter those expired dates. That doesn't serve as a proof that you will go back to US, it is asked because US & Canada share some data and that might speed up the process as per few folks. Other proofs like employment, paystubs, tax returns are the key to prove that you ll go back. Do not worry on this Visa thing, you can simply click 'No' but attach your i797 in your document list(in extras column ).
DID , you get your visa approved , what option you selected , I am in simailar situation