+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry into Canada before issuance of documents?

medic.

Aug 5, 2019
Me: Born in British Columbia, Canadian citizen by birth. Became a naturalized US citizen in 2010.
Wife: Born in California USA. Applied for citizenship certificate in Canada but applying by descent may not work as her grandfather was born in Ontario, mother is a citizen as a result and is getting her certificate.
Twin girls (5.5 months old): Biological daughters of wife and I. Citizens by birth through descent.

All 3 citizenship certificate applications sent by post around April 14th, 2020.

Situation: we live in California and want to move to Canada as soon as possible. Our applications are all pending, so we can't proceed under normal circumstances. I'm trying to sort out if we can come using some type of temporary entry authorization.

Questions:
  1. Are we able to apply for any type of entry visa as my girls are Canadian and my wife has an application pending?
  2. Do the girls need US passports first? Wife has one already.
  3. Would my wife qualify for entry based on her certificate application or would we have to send in a Spousal Visa as well? Would this be an issue?
We are aware of the issues with US travelers to Canada and are able to complete a 2 week quarantine without issue.

Thank you for any ideas or guidance you can suggest.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Me: Born in British Columbia, Canadian citizen by birth. Became a naturalized US citizen in 2010.
Wife: Born in California USA. Applied for citizenship certificate in Canada but applying by descent may not work as her grandfather was born in Ontario, mother is a citizen as a result and is getting her certificate.
Twin girls (5.5 months old): Biological daughters of wife and I. Citizens by birth through descent.

All 3 citizenship certificate applications sent by post around April 14th, 2020.

Situation: we live in California and want to move to Canada as soon as possible. Our applications are all pending, so we can't proceed under normal circumstances. I'm trying to sort out if we can come using some type of temporary entry authorization.

Questions:
  1. Are we able to apply for any type of entry visa as my girls are Canadian and my wife has an application pending?
  2. Do the girls need US passports first? Wife has one already.
  3. Would my wife qualify for entry based on her certificate application or would we have to send in a Spousal Visa as well? Would this be an issue?
We are aware of the issues with US travelers to Canada and are able to complete a 2 week quarantine without issue.

Thank you for any ideas or guidance you can suggest.
Unless there's something you're not telling us, your wife isn't a citizen. Her mother is a citizen by descent, but your wife is not. You will need to sponsor her for permanent residency. She would need to enter Canada as a visitor on the basis of being a U.S. citizen.

Yes, your daughters should get passports to facilitate entry.

There is no temporary visa to apply for. Your family would simply have to enter based on their passports as visitors.

Since you are Canadian, your family should be allowed to enter even with travel restrictions in plans. Make sure you have your quarantine plans in place as they often ask for this at the border.

medic.

Aug 5, 2019
Unless there's something you're not telling us, your wife isn't a citizen. Her mother is a citizen by descent, but your wife is not. You will need to sponsor her for permanent residency. She would need to enter Canada as a visitor on the basis of being a U.S. citizen.

Yes, your daughters should get passports to facilitate entry.

There is no temporary visa to apply for. Your family would simply have to enter based on their passports as visitors.

Since you are Canadian, your family should be allowed to enter even with travel restrictions in plans. Make sure you have your quarantine plans in place as they often ask for this at the border.
Wow thanks for the speedy reply! So Canada will allow land based entry to all of us, even my wife? She doesn't need a visa ahead of time, and they'll allow her to enter as a visitor knowing she will be entering on the basis of applying for permanent residency?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow thanks for the speedy reply! So Canada will allow land based entry to all of us, even my wife? She doesn't need a visa ahead of time, and they'll allow her to enter as a visitor knowing she will be entering on the basis of applying for permanent residency?
Whether someone is allowed in is always at the discretion of CBSA. So nothing is ever 100%.

But again, based on the information provided, you should be able to enter successfully.

I would bring proof you have filed for citizenship certificates for your daughters. Your wife isn't a citizen so I would not mention that application for her.

If specifically asked, you should be ready to say that you know your wife is only being allowed into Canada temporarily at this time (as a tourist).

Note that your daughters and wife will most likely not qualify for provincial health care coverage for a while. So something to keep in mind. Make sure you take out private insurance to cover emergencies. For non emergency care, that will need to be paid out of pocket.

Reactions: medic.

medic.

Aug 5, 2019
I'm bumping this because I'm wondering if anyone else is in my situation where they filed paperwork during the pandemic and have not received an AoR yet. Thank you all!