+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry in Canada after passing of 03 years outside

razza_123

Nov 29, 2013
Hi
Me & my family became permanent resident in 2015. My family has recently been moved to Canada in Oct 2017 after 2 years and 08 months living outside Canada (in Pakistan).
Although I got PR card in 2015 but I do not want to move to Canada on permanent basis due to some personal reasons. My family and kids will remain there. Please tell me how can I visit Canada to meet my family after passing of 03 years outside Canada in 2018 (as I cannot enter Canada after living more than 03 years outside Canada)?
Your reply will be very helpful for me.
Regards
razza_123

razza_123

Nov 29, 2013
Thanks Regina. Can you please explain me the 1st option as you said "You might but you could lose your PR status"

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So whilst you have a valid PR card you can continue to travel to Canada but once you fail to meet the residency obligation of min 730 days in the first 5 years since landing then each time you enter the country there is a chance you will get reported and that might start the process to revoke your PR status.

There is obviously no way to predict whether you will get reported or not other than likely the more days you fail the RO the odds may increase. The only certain thing is whilst you are a PR you are still entitled to enter the country, just carries this risk each time. So whilst you should answer CBSA questions honestly do not volunteer information about your residency unless asked let CBSA do the work.

If by some chance you manage to retain you PR status through to your PR card expiry date then you would need a PRTD to travel to Canada , then in applying for that your PR status would likely get revoked for failing RO.

So as said whilst your card is still valid you are fine and no need to renounce. Where you may start to have a challenge might be if your PR status is revoked or you decide to renounce that you need to apply for a TRV each time to visit unless lucky enough to get a multi entry so never any guarantees.

Last edited: