+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enhanced reliability security clearance

naveenezone

Apr 3, 2009
Hi, It's been more than 2 years after coming to Canada on PR and I settled down in Ottawa. To get to work on any government agencies, I see in all job postings, they require Enhanced reliability security clearance. My current employer doesn't require any such thing but now If I need to look out for any job in Ottawa region, it looks like need them. Do you know how to apply and what are its requirements?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You don't apply for it. Your employer does. If you are not already cleared to a particular level, the new employer will have to take the chance and give you a job, after which they can start the process.

naveenezone

Apr 3, 2009
I cam from India, Canada doesn't have any relation with India to verify the information. Only few countries have security verification relation with Canada. This information was passed on by my employer. But they don't know how long do I need to wait to apply.
Do you know how many years do I need to wait to apply?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
2.3.2 Enhanced reliability check
An enhanced reliability check involves the following:

Verification of personal data, educational or professional qualifications, and employment data and references.
An optional declaration concerning any conviction for a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted.
A check of criminal records, except for current federal government employees as defined in article 3.1.
credit check, when the duties or tasks to be performed require it or in the event of a criminal record based on the type of offence.
Other checks, according to the duties or tasks to be performed, and with the prior consent of the Treasury Board.
Either a CRNC or a fingerprint check must be conducted for the enhanced reliability check. If the manager decides that a fingerprint check is required, it may be performed before or after appointment. In the latter case, the CRNC must be completed and the status authorized before the effective date of appointment or contract.

YOU don't apply, your employer does. There is no minimum time quoted for this very low level of clearance.

OmNi2012

Feb 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its required for Goverment jobs (Federal mostly) not for immigration purposes. For immigration purposes they run a criminal check which is different from the government screening for a job application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OmNi2012 said:
Its required for Goverment jobs (Federal mostly) not for immigration purposes. For immigration purposes they run a criminal check which is different from the government screening for a job application.
We are discussing employment, not immigration.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I applied for one of these jobs -- I was told that because I had lived in Thailand within the past 5 years I was ineligible. So I don't know, but I suspect that is the cutoff.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
on-hold said:
I applied for one of these jobs -- I was told that because I had lived in Thailand within the past 5 years I was ineligible. So I don't know, but I suspect that is the cutoff.
I really don't know how the rules are set for Canada, but I suspect that they are similar to the UK to maintain the same levels of security at the various clearance levels. UK clearances I am very familiar with... ;) ;)