02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
Hi,

I have a question regarding Employment Insurance and Citizenship. I'm a PR in Quebec and recently I've been told we're going to be let off cause the project I'm working on is not going to be renewed by the company's client for this year. Now this seems to be pretty normal and normally happens every October though this time it's going to be June 30th instead. My coworkers (even the Project Manager) with a very easygoing attitude told me to just apply to Employment Insurance at Service Canada to get paid by the government while I'm not working from 18-40 weeks while waiting for the project to restart next year. I've only been here for 14 months as PR so this was new to me and have been working the necessary amount of hours to apply for this EI. My question is, from CIC point of view, when I do apply for Citizenship, will this EI look unfavorable in my (future) citizenship application? This is a government thing and to be honest, my gut tells me I shouldn't use this while being PR but I would like to not spend my savings looking for a job again so I can actually go back to school sooner instead of much later. I'd really like an objective reply a la PMM. Thank you in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zygurn said:
Hi,

I have a question regarding Employment Insurance and Citizenship. I'm a PR in Quebec and recently I've been told we're going to be let off cause the project I'm working on is not going to be renewed by the company's client for this year. Now this seems to be pretty normal and normally happens every October though this time it's going to be June 30th instead. My coworkers (even the Project Manager) with a very easygoing attitude told me to just apply to Employment Insurance at Service Canada to get paid by the government while I'm not working from 18-40 weeks while waiting for the project to restart next year. I've only been here for 14 months as PR so this was new to me and have been working the necessary amount of hours to apply for this EI. My question is, from CIC point of view, when I do apply for Citizenship, will this EI look unfavorable in my (future) citizenship application? This is a government thing and to be honest, my gut tells me I shouldn't use this while being PR but I would like to not spend my savings looking for a job again so I can actually go back to school sooner instead of much later. I'd really like an objective reply a la PMM. Thank you in advance.
1. EI is an insurance scheme, you pay in, while working and you collect when you are not working (if you have sufficient hours) I has no effect on citizenship/Pr.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You are a PR, you have all the rights and responsibilities of a Canadian citizen, except you can't vote in federal elections.

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
Yes, I understood that, was really just wondering if it would negatively affect my eventual citizenship application but I ended up checking their manuals and they don't check this so was just me being paranoid, so thanks for the help.

Apr 26, 2017
zygurn said:
Yes, I understood that, was really just wondering if it would negatively affect my eventual citizenship application but I ended up checking their manuals and they don't check this so was just me being paranoid, so thanks for the help.
Hi I have also the same situation. Im really paranoid right now is it going to affect my application for citizenship? im from alberta

ozel

Feb 8, 2017
No, it won't negatively affect you. I am on EI for the last three months and I became a citizen 2 days ago. As long as you are looking for a new job while you are on EI and can prove it if needed, you are fine.