+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Embassy possibly will be difficult when renewing passport.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hi,

Quick story, came to Canada with Dad when I was 15yo, we don't have last names and it was required back then so added Dads name for my last name. Some people from my home country have their name double as first and last name, mainly because their Dads name is also their name...yea...but not the case for me, first and last name are different.

Anyways, our country is in this everything electronic kick lately, we have recently a national identity card and checking in needs to be online on foreign affairs website instead of the local embassy.

Now it's been 10-20 years of me using the name I have now abroad. I have it on my HS, college, banking info all over the world, but I fear that because of these new regulations they will force me to create a passport base on my birth name only. Maybe use my first name twice as first and last, if that is still required.

Now I'm planning to settle in Canada, and I want to eventually apply for Citizenship. I don't plan to travel outside Canada anytime soon, especially now...

How difficult is it for me to achieve Citizenship without the help of my home country?

PR-wise, Canada knows this name issue and gave me PR regardless. And I hear to renew PR, I can use the passport I used to apply for PR. I don't necessarily need one that is active. Is that true?

Now I do want to sometimes visit back home as I still have family there.

Can someone guide me on what I should do? Thanks!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Your home country has little involvement in any application you make in Canada, and they tend to be understanding if you can give good explanations for any issues with your name.

You can renew your PR card using the passport you held when you become a PR. Remember that PR is a status, while a passport is a travel document. You do not necessarily need to maintain a valid passport from your home country if you do not plan to leave Canada before you become a citizen and get a Canadian passport.

Reactions: s3nr1

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Thanks for that. If you went through the process yourself and became a citizen, what additional information/documentation do they ask for on top of what they already have from my PR application.

And are they working based on the PR application or they are starting the process (medical, etc..) from the beginning?