+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Embarking / Departing from a foreign country as a PR

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
This question may sound silly or very trivial. However, I just need to verify and clear this out of my head if possible with the help of the experienced members in the site.

My question is this. I reside in Canada and recently became a PR and currently waiting for my card. Once I receive the card, I am planning to travel outside to my native place as well as other countries.

Say that I went to my native place which is in the Indian sub continent. Usually when I am coming back, the border officers there would check my passport for a valid visa. However as a PR I don't have any VISA or study or work permits (All are cancelled without prejudice and taken away by CBSA) EXCEPT my PR Card. Showing my passport and PR card is sufficient to convince those immigration officers from my native place? Do I need to carry CoPR and all, Work letters, reference letters, etc.? Overall, does my PR card can act in place of a VISA+Permit? Where can I find these information or verify about this?

Also for the citizens of my country, immigration officers usually have an embarking form and all to fill asking the reasons to go out of the country. It could be work, study, emigration, etc. In my case as a PR, I am mainly interested in working in Canada, I am going have to mention, my main objective is to work. Is it okay?

Any information / clarifications on the matter is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So I cannot answer specifically what border control might or might not do in any specific country but your PR card is your proof that you are a resident of Canada and as far as any airline is concerned you are authorised to board a plane for Canada.

Your passport obviously is your authorisation subject to any exit/entry requirements to travel between countries.
So your passport together with your PR card are your authorisation to travel to Canada. No need to carry COPR , work letters etc unless it makes you more comfortable.

As for any exit form cannot advise on that but as a PR most PRs would say their primary reason for being in Canada is to reside in the country, obviously work is a part of that but not the primary reason but I guess putting work would be fine but others familiar with this requirement should maybe comment.

Reactions: sj1234567

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
So I cannot answer specifically what border control might or might not do in any specific country but your PR card is your proof that you are a resident of Canada and as far as any airline is concerned you are authorised to board a plane for Canada.

Your passport obviously is your authorisation subject to any exit/entry requirements to travel between countries.
So your passport together with your PR card are your authorisation to travel to Canada. No need to carry COPR , work letters etc unless it makes you more comfortable.

As for any exit form cannot advise on that but as a PR most PRs would say their primary reason for being in Canada is to reside in the country, obviously work is a part of that but not the primary reason but I guess putting work would be fine but others familiar with this requirement should maybe comment.
Thank you!! So this means PR card has equalent status or equally recognised across any international border as similar to the Visa counterfoil or the sticker? Is it more than a national ID recognized only.by the Canadian authorities? Forgive me if this sound silly. Just want to be thorough and learn more about the nature of my PR :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you!! So this means PR card has equalent status or equally recognised across any international border as similar to the Visa counterfoil or the sticker? Is it more than a national ID recognized only.by the Canadian authorities? Forgive me if this sound silly. Just want to be thorough and learn more about the nature of my PR :)
PR card is more than a national ID recognize only by Canadian authoritIes. PR holders can get visa exempted visitor status from some South American countries, for instance.

Reactions: sj1234567

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
PR card is more than a national ID recognize only by Canadian authoritIes. PR holders can get visa exempted visitor status from some South American countries, for instance.
That make sense! Thanks. So to summarize, I am guessing, PR card acts as Visa Counterfile + Permit or in other words proof of your status in Canada. So when you are returning to Canada from any other country around the world, they should allow your departure smoothly since you have proof that you have valid status and have completed entry requirements to Canada given that you HAVE YOUR VALID PR CARD WITH YOU.