+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility Passed - Common Law Spouse Sponsorship

Jieun2712

Aug 11, 2017
Hello, I have applied for common law spouse sponsorship as a inside resident in Canada.
Applied last year in November, completed my medical exam in July.
Today I heard from them saying Eligibility Passed but they said:

"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that
a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent
resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks
for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they
are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident
until you and all your family members have met these requirements.
IMPORTANT: Passports for yourself and your family members must be valid for the duration of
your stay in Canada
. "

Has anybody went through this stage? what do they actually do? I have no plan to bring my family in South Korea to Canada but should I tell them to make sure to renew their passport and stuff? How long does it usually take to get to be confirmed and get PR? Please give me an advice if anybody knows anything.

Thank you so much

Last edited:

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
it is referring to family members that are included in the application. the next step is the background checks, which you provided your police checks and schedule A for. this could take some time. no one can say definitively how long it will take. our background check took 8 months, others take 2-3 weeks

Jieun2712

Aug 11, 2017
it is referring to family members that are included in the application. the next step is the background checks, which you provided your police checks and schedule A for. this could take some time. no one can say definitively how long it will take. our background check took 8 months, others take 2-3 weeks
I see, Thank you for the reply!

Valtteri

Nov 29, 2020
Great forum. I m here with same experience now. Applied for Family Class sponsorship October 24th 2019 under common law.

26th November received letter saying. "
"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. "

- I paid 85$ biometrics, and other two fees 490$ ands 475$. TOTAL 1050$
- MEDICAL was done March 2020n and received.
- I have no other family members

- I havent been able to link my paper application to my online account?
- My current status expired 12th Nov 2020. I have applied to paper to extend that but heard heard nothing back. Followed checklist
IMMM5556e.

Any experiences on how much longer this should take and what is next step ? Why I cant link my application online and is it a big problem to wait without status?

Thanks

Valtteri

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Great forum. I m here with same experience now. Applied for Family Class sponsorship October 24th 2019 under common law.

26th November received letter saying. "
"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. "

- I paid 85$ biometrics, and other two fees 490$ ands 475$. TOTAL 1050$
- MEDICAL was done March 2020n and received.
- I have no other family members

- I havent been able to link my paper application to my online account?
- My current status expired 12th Nov 2020. I have applied to paper to extend that but heard heard nothing back. Followed checklist
IMMM5556e.

Any experiences on how much longer this should take and what is next step ? Why I cant link my application online and is it a big problem to wait without status?

Thanks

Valtteri
Did you applied before your current visa expired . If yes you are under implied status not out of status. You can hear anytime soon . You should apply online work permit instead of paper based application.

Valtteri

Nov 29, 2020
Yes I did apply before expired. I had no option to apply online so submitted everything on paper to Edmonton in Late October. I cant link my existing application to my online account so maybe thats why could not apply online. Followed checklist IMM5556e and guide 5553e

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Yes I did apply before expired. I had no option to apply online so submitted everything on paper to Edmonton in Late October. I cant link my existing application to my online account so maybe thats why could not apply online. Followed checklist IMM5556e and guide 5553e
You are under implied status. You are not out of status.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17
Also
You should have applied online work permit application because you are already approved as principle. It’s fine too if you have applied paper based . Paper based are processed slowly than online. You can still work under same conditions and same employer.

I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?
Yes, but only if they have a work permit.
If you’re sponsoring your spouse, they can apply for an open work permit.
It will take us about 4-5 months to process the open work permit application.
Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must:
  • maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, and
  • wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work.
For the steps to apply, see How to apply for a work permit.
Follow the instructions that match your situation.
If the sponsorship application hasn’t been submitted yet:
  • Put the sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit applications into one envelope.
  • Make sure to include:
    • all supporting documents for all applications, and
    • proof of payment, for all applications.
  • Send the envelope to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M), Ontario.
If the permanent residence application has not been approved in principle:
The time it takes to get your approval in principle depends on your case. Processing times vary.
If the permanent residence application has been approved in principle:

Valtteri

Nov 29, 2020
Yes Implied status is nice to know but cant renew a driving license or MSP without any way to prove it.