+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI waiting period waived

Sophia_yinyin

Jun 6, 2019
I am currently need to stay home 2 weeks for self isolation. I have applied EI and wanted to know if I need to call in to waive the first week waiting period? I have called the hotline 1833-381-2725 for two days, they kept saying it's currently closed. I called EI, never go through. So I called the cerb 1833-699-0299 ,the person told me the waiting period is automatically waived. But I couldn't found any resources online saying it's automatically waived, instead there are article saying we will need to call in to waive it. Anyone know the answer on this one?
Also, I am only off for 2 weeks(hopefully) so I apply ei instead of cerb. Didn't know it got converted until after I applied for ei. If I report to ei after 2 weeks that I am back to work will they pay me $1000 or they will still do a monthly $2000 payment and I will need to pay back the extra?
Thank you everyone

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am currently need to stay home 2 weeks for self isolation. I have applied EI and wanted to know if I need to call in to waive the first week waiting period? I have called the hotline 1833-381-2725 for two days, they kept saying it's currently closed. I called EI, never go through. So I called the cerb 1833-699-0299 ,the person told me the waiting period is automatically waived. But I couldn't found any resources online saying it's automatically waived, instead there are article saying we will need to call in to waive it. Anyone know the answer on this one?
Also, I am only off for 2 weeks(hopefully) so I apply ei instead of cerb. Didn't know it got converted until after I applied for ei. If I report to ei after 2 weeks that I am back to work will they pay me $1000 or they will still do a monthly $2000 payment and I will need to pay back the extra?
Thank you everyone
You aren’t being laid off so you haven’t lost your job. Have you been exposed to Covid or have symptoms so you have to take 2 weeks off. Have you been working onsite at your Canadian employer? If you qualify you should be applying for CERB.