+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI Maternity Benefit ... work permit that will soon expire

godsmack0918

Apr 10, 2012
Hello guys.. I badly need help. I am currently on EI maternity benefit and my closed work permit will expire on Aug 2012, I am married to a Canadian citizen and he would sponsor me, we'll use the OUTSIDE Canada application for PR hoping that it will get approved faster than the INSIDE Canada application. The thing is my work permit would expire before my PR gets approved. I can change from worker to visitor while waiting for approval but service canada said I wouldn't get benefits once my work permit expires. My question is, will I still be eligible for EI benefit or health coverage if ever we get stage 1 approval using the outside canada application or if I declare that I have a pending PR application? What will be the case if I use the INSIDE Canada application instead? It is just that the INSIDE Canada takes so long, even if I apply for an open work permit with it, it may take around 11 mos to get it..and I want to work without restrictions soon after my leave given that I dont want to go back to work with my current employer (with closed work permit). I just want continued EI benefits until I get my PR card. Please help. Thanks.