+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI benefits of a PR working freelance for USA?

una

Jan 23, 2012
Hi,

I have a PR through my common law partner

I work remotely for a client in the USA, this is my main job, I do not work within Canada at this point. Next year I will file my first taxes here in Canada as a PR. Im pregnant and would like to receive EI next year. My question:

Am I eligible to receive EI and what (if any) kind of paperwork would I have to file for this?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are working for a US company remotely then presumably you are paying into the US social system. In that case I believe you qualify for US employment insurance - but not Canadian (since you haven't paid into the Canadian system). To qualify for the Canadian system, you need to have accumulated 600 insurable working hours (i.e. 600 hours where you have paid into the Canadian system).

You can find information here on how to claim US benefits:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/outside_canada.shtml#How

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
una said:
Hi,

I have a PR through my common law partner

I work remotely for a client in the USA, this is my main job, I do not work within Canada at this point. Next year I will file my first taxes here in Canada as a PR. Im pregnant and would like to receive EI next year. My question:

Am I eligible to receive EI and what (if any) kind of paperwork would I have to file for this?

Thank you
I am 99.9% sure that the US does not given 'maternity leave' benefits as Canada does. Most of us in the US worked right up to the bitter end and if the employer did not have benefits available you took the hard knock of having no money coming in while on leave. You will likely find yourself in the same situation as, i'm assuming, you have been paying income taxes into the US. If you have not, then you have a more serious issue at hand than whether you can get unemployment insurance (which is what it's called in the US)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Unless you have EI deductions from your payroll I do not think you would qualify.

My is wife is American and she was in the same situation therefore I took the whole 35 weeks of parental leave since I worked in Canada for a Canadian employer.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck!

una

Jan 23, 2012
One thing I want to clarify: I will be paying taxes of my US job here in canada. There is a tax treaty btw USA and Canada that I would fall into. I do not have a working visa in the USA, Im working as a Canadian recident for a USA client.

I was hoping that this: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/sew/index.shtml

Would apply to me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have you read the eligibility criteria?

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/sew/eligibility.shtml

For the self employed rules to apply to you, you would have had to have registered with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission AND 12 moths needed to have passed since the registration. (Plus meet the other criteria outlined.)

This doesn't sound like the situation you're in. Or is it?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Your best bet to find about whether you qualify is is to call Service Canada.

The best time to call them is at 8 am Monday to Friday. They will be able to tell you.

Or you can visit one of Service Canada offices and find out for sure.

una

Jan 23, 2012
Thank you, these answers are good and I think I will need to call Canada. But yes, to me it sounds like the 12 month period might mean Im too late.

Thank you!

una

Jan 23, 2012
Dejaavu said:
Unless you have EI deductions from your payroll I do not think you would qualify.

My is wife is American and she was in the same situation therefore I took the whole 35 weeks of parental leave since I worked in Canada for a Canadian employer.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck!
Thank you! One more question before I head to the office tomorrow:

My boyfriend is my sponsor for my PR (common-law) and he was told he was not allowed any social insurance while sponsoring me (which I find odd since people might want to start a family and all that). Do you know anything about this? He is canadian and has a canadian job so he would otherwise fall into the criteria.

Thanks, una

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
una said:
Thank you! One more question before I head to the office tomorrow:

My boyfriend is my sponsor for my PR (common-law) and he was told he was not allowed any social insurance while sponsoring me (which I find odd since people might want to start a family and all that). Do you know anything about this? He is canadian and has a canadian job so he would otherwise fall into the criteria.

Thanks, una
He's not allowed to go on social assistance. Welfare is social assistance. EI is not social assistance.