+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effect of COVID-19 on Jobs

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Has COVID-19 affected the availability of jobs in Greater Toronto Area? What kind of jobs have not been affected? How it will matter for somebody planning to come there in about 1-2 months from now?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Has COVID-19 affected the availability of jobs in Greater Toronto Area? What kind of jobs have not been affected? How it will matter for somebody planning to come there in about 1-2 months from now?
Has affected all forms of jobs. Unemployment has gone up significantly and hiring has essentially stopped. Would not move to Canada permanently right now if you can especially if you have a decent job where you are. If you are able to secure a job from abroad then I would move. That tends to be difficult but not unheard of in some industries.

Reactions: piedpiper

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you actually get a PRTD based on H&C. Having just read your situation it is even a bigger risk to try to move to Canada. Your only option is PRTD based on H&C or to try and not get reported through the US. Many 55 year olds have difficultly securing new jobs due to ageism. This will especially be the case if you don’t have recent Canadian experience.

Reactions: piedpiper

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Did you actually get a PRTD based on H&C. Having just read your situation it is even a bigger risk to try to move to Canada. Your only option is PRTD based on H&C or to try and not get reported through the US. Many 55 year olds have difficultly securing new jobs due to ageism. This will especially be the case if you don’t have recent Canadian experience.
Thanks for asking. The Canadian office here is waiting to reopen after lockdown. I am just hoping to get it soon. Problem is that I cannot get into some new job here & get stuck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for asking. The Canadian office here is waiting to reopen after lockdown. I am just hoping to get it soon. Problem is that I cannot get into some new job here & get stuck.
You left Canada 12 years ago. PRTD based on H&C will be very difficult to get.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IT sector is not affected.
Many companies are not hiring because they can’t interview in person or have an orientation in person which Canadians like to do but most are waiting to see what happens to the economy. Sure there are some jobs available but most things have essentially been paused.