App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
I was told from a friend that he called CIC and was told if he were to add Co-Op experience whiling ticking the checkbox that this was under an academic program, it would subtract points instead.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
The co-op experience won't count to work experience. You will be granted no point for that. If you don't check the box, it will be calculated as one year work experience. Hence, your points will be calculated wrongly.

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
karenv said:
The co-op experience won't count to work experience. You will be granted no point for that. If you don't check the box, it will be calculated as one year work experience. Hence, your points will be calculated wrongly.
But if you check it and get less point, wouldn't it be wrong? Is this true?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
If he did co-op experience he has to answer yes, regardless of whether his points drop. If he answers 'No' but they find out the work was co-op, then the points will be recalculated and if they drop below the cut off, it will be rejected. This could also be grounds for misrepresentation. Just be honest.

simplynd2804

Mar 24, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wait what? where do you show co-op experience.? is that needed to put in work history.? I have 8 months co-op which I haven't declared anywhere in my EE profile, I hope that's not wrong

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
simplynd2804 said:
Wait what? where do you show co-op experience.? is that needed to put in work history.? I have 8 months co-op which I haven't declared anywhere in my EE profile, I hope that's not wrong
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?
No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simplynd2804 said:
You can mention it in the personal history section once you receive your ITA.

I'm assuming OP's friend is trying to claim points for that co-op experience.

egoo45

Aug 11, 2015
I personally have 16 months of Co-op experience. I originally had it listed under work history, but Kryt0n brought up an excellent point that I would need to provide all the required proof for work experience. Co-op doesn't count for points so there is no point in declaring it under work history. It's best to be left for the personal history section once you get an ITA.

simplynd2804 said:

simplynd2804

Mar 24, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I know that already, co-op doesn't count as work experience, I was just worried about not mentioning under work experience, but seems like I right not to declare that as work experience.

Sunny_ist

Star Member
May 16, 2016
kryt0n said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?
No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).
It is ok for FSW, right?