+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE Exclude Canadian wife ?

Chrisv

Jul 23, 2013
Hi All,

Just a quick question in case anyone can help.

I am planning to apply under EE , my girlfriend is a Canadian citizen and we are getting married in a week.

My question is can I exclude her from my application or in other words not claim any points from her as this will decrease my overall points due to her work experience , etc.... Alos , i'm not sure whether being married to a Canadian citizen gives any advantage but it doesn't seem so

Thanks,
Chris

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
I think you can safely exclude her.

IndoCanadian2015

Star Member
May 4, 2015
When you list you are married, it asks you if the spouse is a canadian pr or citizen. Once you claim yes to the citizen option, the spouse will stop having any impacts on the points. You will not be asked to include proof of work exp records or educational records for the spouse. I dont remember for sure but I dont think we had to include any details of the spouse in the EE profile at all - just the name and the fact that they are a canadian PR or citizen. Once you do get an ITA, in the EE application the spouse has to enter details for their work exp. and educational history etc, but no proof letters or anything are needed.

I am a canadian PR spouse and my wife has recently applied under EE. All I had to include was a copy of my PR card (canadian citizenship papers or birth certificate in your case), proof of relationship (marriage certificate) and the first page of my passport.

We submitted her application on Sept 22. Will keep you posted as it progresses and if we face any issues - but I dont see any reason why we would face any issues. We have also applied under the spouse sponsorship program, but that is a rather slow process so we are hoping EE comes through much sooner than that.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chrisv said:
Hi All,

Just a quick question in case anyone can help.

I am planning to apply under EE , my girlfriend is a Canadian citizen and we are getting married in a week.

My question is can I exclude her from my application or in other words not claim any points from her as this will decrease my overall points due to her work experience , etc.... Alos , i'm not sure whether being married to a Canadian citizen gives any advantage but it doesn't seem so

Thanks,
Chris
Having a Canadian wife doesn't give you any EE advantage, as EE is an economic program. Of course, it does give you the option of applying as your wife's spouse under family immigration.

It used to be that the EE and PR applications did not ask if the spouse was Canadian - only if you had one, and if they were accompanying or non-accompanying. The people with Canadian spouses wrote non-accompanying, since they would not be required to report IELTS scores or medical or criminal results for their spouses. Someone has said that listing your spouse as non-accompanying gives you the same scores as a single person, and I assume that is also true if the forms now give you the chance to report a Canadian spouse. So you will be able to directly claim the higher points that a single person can over a married person.

It's true you can get points for a spouse's Canadian work experience, but those are very few, and simply compensate for the higher points earned as a single person in other categories.

Chrisv

Jul 23, 2013
Thank you all for the replies , much appreciated

I think I can go ahead and exclude her points then

Cheers
Chris