+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education Requirement for CEC??

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
Hi Seniors, I need to confirm the education requirement for CEC?? as my friend who is in canada told me that if i do 1 year diploma in accounts i would be eligible to apply for PR.

can anyone plz confirm if it is correct??

1.can I apply for CEC after 1 year(2 semesters a year) Diploma with 20 hrs/week job??
2.there wud be 2 semesters or 3 semesters a year requirement??
3.there wud be any job requirement after 1 yr diploma or i can directly apply for PR??
3.if i can apply after 1 year diploma then what do u suggest should i go for 1 year diploma or 2 year diploma??

plz guide me...
Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sibtain said:
Hi Seniors, I need to confirm the education requirement for CEC?? as my friend who is in canada told me that if i do 1 year diploma in accounts i would be eligible to apply for PR.

can anyone plz confirm if it is correct??

1.can I apply for CEC after 1 year(2 semesters a year) Diploma with 20 hrs/week job??
2.there wud be 2 semesters or 3 semesters a year requirement??
3.there wud be any job requirement after 1 yr diploma or i can directly apply for PR??
3.if i can apply after 1 year diploma then what do u suggest should i go for 1 year diploma or 2 year diploma??

plz guide me...
Thanks in advance.
READ what CIC says.

Education

Education is only assessed if you are applying as a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution.

If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

* a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or
* a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

Note: English- or French-as-a-second- language courses do not count toward education requirements under the Canadian Experience Class.

* The programs must be delivered by a private or public post-secondary educational institution such as a college or a university that is provincially recognized, or
* Private CEGEPs.

PMM

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks for the reply PMM.

as u said (1 yr additional education + 1 yr master prg.) is required to apply for PR.

but what do u mean by 1 yr additional education?? is it equivalent to 1 yr diploma?

on the other hand..
now it means i would hv to go for bachelors degree(4 yrs prg) from which after 2 yrs of study i would be eligible to apply for PR.

and how many semesters would be required for 1 yr full time study
2 semesters or 3 semesters?

and full time study means i won't be allowed to do 20 hrs/week job??

and after 2 yrs of full time study..wud there be any work experience requirement???

waiting for ur reply..
Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Please help yourself to the information available on the CIC website, ALL of your questions are answered there and in the application guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

There is an additional work requirement, one year of full-time employment (or the equivalent) in a skilled occupation, after the completion of the degree.

One year of full-time study is considered 8 months (2 four-month semesters). You can still work part-time as a student, but that work experience does not "count" towards the employment requirement of the CEC program.

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks jes_on u cleared my doubt.

but still there is one thing which i would like to know..

as PMM said(according to cic),

If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

* a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or
* a one-year Master's program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

what is an additional year of education??
do i hv to complete any type of course or diploma??
if yes, then can u guide me which type of course it should be??

waitin for the reply..

Thanks in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You're missing 2 key points -

1) A 1-year DIPLOMA program is NOT the same as a 1-year Master's degree. It is not eligible.

2) Even if you HAD completed a 1-year master's degree, you would still need to show 2 years of full time study including the 1 year master's degree. The KEY WORDS ARE:

* a one-year Master's program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

In other words - the additional year of education had to be completed BEFORE the 1 year masters degree.

IF you can now find a 1-year FULL TIME master's degree program, your 1-year diploma program would count as the extra year.

Your friend was wrong, sorry to say. Better to rely on the information on the CIC website.