+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton timeline for PR renewal

Leopard

Sep 28, 2008
Hello Everyone in this forum ....

I found your website yesterday and spent all the night along reading topics , they were really helpful and interesting. I would thank the moderator and the staff for their efforts to make this site helpful.

My question is really simple , anyone have an idea what is the timeline in Edmonton for PR renewal ?

Appreciate your response.

Regards.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just did my PR renewal and it took 107 days from mailing application to the date I was supposed to pick it up but the average time on their website says now that it's 93 days average.

Leopard

Sep 28, 2008
Appreciate your response , so in average i should wait for almost 4 months .

Can apply for citizenship meanwhile my PR is being renewed ?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can. I actually had a citizenship application pending when I applied to renew my PR but since I wanted to travel and had no idea when I would get my citizenship, I sent in my renewal application. A day after I sent it in, I got the letter telling me to appear for the test. Immigration told me that if I got my citizenship before the PR renewal card that they would cancel the card but I still got the notification to pick it up which is why I know the timeline. I phoned immigration to tell them I don't need it since I am a citizen now and they said that it should have been cancelled automatically but somehow got through. In your case, you should have your new PR card well before your citizenship goes through.

Leopard

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks Leon , but as per check list for citizenship application ,its required to have a PR copy attached to the application . Is it acceptable to provide a copy of expired PR ? Please advise .

By the way my PR expired this month and application for renewal has been sent a week ago .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your card is already expired you actually should have sent it in with your application, as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp You should call immigration and ask. Worst case you will have to wait for your new PR card before you can apply for citizenship.

Leopard

Sep 28, 2008
When i sent PR application my card has validity of 2 weeks ( sorry i said expired instead of expires this month ) , should i have sent it with application since it is still valid at the time application was sent ?? Please advise .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, it says if it's still valid, you can hang on to it. You will have to bring it when you pick up the new one.

Leopard

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks Leon .

Then i can go ahead and apply for citizenship , i know it will take long time and i have to wait . The reason i renew my PR is only for emergency purposes .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if it's still valid, you can make your copy now and apply while it is still valid or if you wait with your application until it is expired, you will have to call immigration and ask if it's ok or if you need to wait for the new one.