+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUI inadmissibility policy under review?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
https://www.justlanded.com/english/Canada/Articles/Visas-Permits/Drunk-driving-ban-under-review

No idea how recent this article is, but I found this part rather amusing:

While the policy reasons for a ban on drunk drivers are obvious, Canada’s enforcement of this policy has recently come under attack. Documents obtained pursuant to our access-to-information laws reveal that Canada’s tourism industry, especially the sector involving fishing and hunting, is suffering because of the strict application of this law. It was furthermore suggested that border officers were applying the law “arbitrarily” and with a “lack of courtesy”.

While the loss of revenue from sport tourism is not an irrelevant consideration, it is dwarfed by the impact on our economy by the application of this policy on foreign businessmen and women, and in particular American executives. When Canada denies entry, or is seen to be ready to deny entry, to such individuals, Canadians stand to lose the benefit of the economic stimulus their entry might have brought our economy. In my office, the cases with the greatest potential impact on Canada’s economy are not those involving investors and entrepreneurs but, those involving senior executives headed to the Canadian branch of a multi-national corporation.

Possibly great news for drunken American hunters/fisherman/executives!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Ponga said:
https://www.justlanded.com/english/Canada/Articles/Visas-Permits/Drunk-driving-ban-under-review

No idea how recent this article is, but I found this part rather amusing:

While the policy reasons for a ban on drunk drivers are obvious, Canada's enforcement of this policy has recently come under attack. Documents obtained pursuant to our access-to-information laws reveal that Canada's tourism industry, especially the sector involving fishing and hunting, is suffering because of the strict application of this law. It was furthermore suggested that border officers were applying the law “arbitrarily” and with a “lack of courtesy”.

While the loss of revenue from sport tourism is not an irrelevant consideration, it is dwarfed by the impact on our economy by the application of this policy on foreign businessmen and women, and in particular American executives. When Canada denies entry, or is seen to be ready to deny entry, to such individuals, Canadians stand to lose the benefit of the economic stimulus their entry might have brought our economy. In my office, the cases with the greatest potential impact on Canada's economy are not those involving investors and entrepreneurs but, those involving senior executives headed to the Canadian branch of a multi-national corporation.

Possibly great news for drunken American hunters/fisherman/executives!
Interestingly, there is nothing in the monologue that actually states that anything is actually "under review" by anyone except the author.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sure most Canadians are happy to give up all benefits coming from those drunk hunters and fishers. It's highly unlikely that this policy will change from a legislative level, administrative level is a maybe.