+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUAL CITIZENSHIP? LEON AND PMM PLS HELP

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
My sons were born in the US, and they hold US passports. 13 and 3 years old.

Say 5 years later, they follow my footprints and apply for Canadian citizenship and luckily granted:

1. Will Canada government ask my sons to abandon US citizenship before they can get Canadian citizenship?
2. Will US government ask my sons to give up US citizenships after they know, somehow, that my sons have got Canadian citizenship?
3. Is there any case that it is a reality show that some persons have both US and Canadian citizenship without any legal problem?
4. If dual citizenship is okay, will theses persons have to pay "dual" taxes to both countries compared to most of us pay single tax only? That would be the costs to pay to hold dual citizenship?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No, the government of Canada will never ask you to give up your other citizenship(s).
2. No, the US government may not like dual citizenship but they will still not interfere.
3. Plenty of people have dual citizenship US and Canadian or some other countries without a problem.
4. As a US citizen, you must always file taxes in the US no matter where you live. In Canada, you only become a tax resident if you live in Canada and have income in Canada. If you have become a tax resident in Canada and move away, you can notify CRA that you have moved away and to please consider you a non-resident for tax purposes. US and Canada have a tax treaty so you should not have to pay dual taxes even if you file in both countries.

Note that the US wants you to travel on your US passport when you leave or enter the US. Canada is not as picky about it but the correct way to travel if you are dual citizen is to carry both passports, show the US passport as you leave the US, the Canadian as you enter Canada.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
Leon said:
1. No, the government of Canada will never ask you to give up your other citizenship(s).
2. No, the US government may not like dual citizenship but they will still not interfere.
3. Plenty of people have dual citizenship US and Canadian or some other countries without a problem.
4. As a US citizen, you must always file taxes in the US no matter where you live. In Canada, you only become a tax resident if you live in Canada and have income in Canada. If you have become a tax resident in Canada and move away, you can notify CRA that you have moved away and to please consider you a non-resident for tax purposes. US and Canada have a tax treaty so you should not have to pay dual taxes even if you file in both countries.

Note that the US wants you to travel on your US passport when you leave or enter the US. Canada is not as picky about it but the correct way to travel if you are dual citizen is to carry both passports, show the US passport as you leave the US, the Canadian as you enter Canada.
Thanks, Leon.