Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012 (Got a wrong req, so sent PP only on 3rd sep)
Hi Everyone,
I sponsored my parents for PR and they landed this year and have been living with me since. Recently, my father's heart condition has taken deteriorated (he is a heat patient) and I was wondering is there is any insurance plans that I can take for my parents. My parents are seniors (66 yrs) and they do have their medication from India (they bought a year's supply).

They have no income here or in India and I support them. I wanted to check if there are any insurance plans or government subsidized plans that cover their drug insurance and routine dental checkup. What has everyone else done for their parents who are not working and here on PR?

Edit: We are in Ontario.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,
I sponsored my parents for PR and they landed this year and have been living with me since. Recently, my father's heart condition has taken deteriorated (he is a heat patient) and I was wondering is there is any insurance plans that I can take for my parents. My parents are seniors (66 yrs) and they do have their medication from India (they bought a year's supply).

They have no income here or in India and I support them. I wanted to check if there are any insurance plans or government subsidized plans that cover their drug insurance and routine dental checkup. What has everyone else done for their parents who are not working and here on PR?
Have you check BC pharmacare (if they live in BC)?

Reactions: hello2adi

hello2adi

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Your parents qualify for seniors drug plan if they are over 65. Once they pay their yearly deductible of $100 insured medications will be $6.11 each or a bit more if they are high income earners. Their international income is what is important not Canadian income. Most medications are covered. When they go to the pharmacy they will need to show their OHIP card. Most private dental plans cover very little for a high fee. Often better to pay in cash. If they live in Toronto the U of T dental school offers subsidized dental care although it takes a lot longer since the students are learning. It is a less expensive option.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/get-coverage-prescription-drugs

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

Look into this for prescription drugs: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-coverage-prescription-drugs

For the remaining coverage, you'll need to look into private health insurance such as Manulife. In some cases it actually makes more sense to pay out of pocket due to the dedictibles and other factors (e.g. coverage of prescription medication for pre-existing conditions). So make sure you read the fine print.

hello2adi

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
Your parents qualify for seniors drug plan if they are over 65. Once they pay their yearly deductible of $100 insured medications will be $6.11 each or a bit more if they are high income earners. Their international income is what is important not Canadian income. Most medications are covered. When they go to the pharmacy they will need to show their OHIP card. Most private dental plans cover very little for a high fee. Often better to pay in cash. If they live in Toronto the U of T dental school offers subsidized dental care although it takes a lot longer since the students are learning. It is a less expensive option.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/get-coverage-prescription-drugs
Thank you, this is very helpful. I was not aware that they enroll into ODB directly after 65 years of age. They dont have income in India or in Canada. I support them.
I will look into the U of T dental program also. thanks.

hello2adi

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
Look into this for prescription drugs: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-coverage-prescription-drugs

For the remaining coverage, you'll need to look into private health insurance such as Manulife. In some cases it actually makes more sense to pay out of pocket due to the dedictibles and other factors (e.g. coverage of prescription medication for pre-existing conditions). So make sure you read the fine print.
Thank you, this is very helpful.