+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

driving license

tyler

Apr 1, 2008
How do we obtain our albertan driving license without a permanent address. I ask this because we are landing in calgary in June & returning to uK 2 weeks later & will not be back in Alberta until March 09. Therefore we will need to apply for our license during the 2 weeks after landing, because my understanding is that we must apply 90 days after landing, but we need to have an Albertan address don't we?
What happens if we apply after 90 days? would we have to do the test?

Thanks for any advice

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tyler said:
How do we obtain our albertan driving license without a permanent address. I ask this because we are landing in calgary in June & returning to uK 2 weeks later & will not be back in Alberta until March 09. Therefore we will need to apply for our license during the 2 weeks after landing, because my understanding is that we must apply 90 days after landing, but we need to have an Albertan address don't we?
What happens if we apply after 90 days? would we have to do the test?

Thanks for any advice
No, it is 90 days after taking up residence, so when you return and have a permanent address then you exchange no test required.

PMM

tyler

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks, but how do they know how long you have been resident for. i thought it would go from when you land or once you have got your PR card?
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tyler said:
Thanks, but how do they know how long you have been resident for. i thought it would go from when you land or once you have got your PR card?
Thanks
You are worrying too much, if you went ahead and exchanged your license, then what are you going to do in the UK as you have to give up your UK license. You are not taking up residence, but are only becoming a permanent resident.

PMM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Obtaining "permanent resident status", which is what you do when you land, is not the same as becoming a "resident" (Of Canada, or a particular province therein). In order to be legal resident, as PMM says, you need to "establish residency," which means actually having a residence or some sort of other "residential ties." It is not necessarily clear cut what actions establish residence in some cases.

One place where this comes up is driving a US plated vehicle into Canada. Many times CBSA agents do not understand this right away, but one can be a "landed permanent resident" of Canada, but a resident of the United States at the same time. Therefore, someone like this should not be subject to the provision that bars "Canadian residents" from driving a US plated vehicle into Canada. However, situations like these can lead to some difficult interactions at the border, if the particular agent you get isn't used to thinking outside the box. Same can happen going into the US. Many US CBP agents are not used to seeing a US passport handed to them from a Canadian plated vehicle and this can lead to further questioning until they figure it out.

In answer to your question, you have no need to get an Alberta license until you actually move there.