+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving California Plated Car into BC as an International Student

Tanm

May 6, 2021
I will be attending UBC next semester as a US international student. I work in private equity, and I will need a car to meet clients and colleagues in Seattle frequently. I was wondering, will Canada force me to get a BC license and register my car in BC if I keep it there for longer than 6 months? I have a California license and my car is registered in California. I do not want to swap it out for a Canadian one as my license is attached to so many things (insurance, medical documents, and other records). I will be a temporary resident of Canada for 3 years, so will the BC government give me an exception to drive my car in Canada? Is my US license and insurance valid in Canada? I’m still 18 years old, I have a full adult unrestricted California license, but I heard in Canada that you have to be 19 to be an adult, so will BC consider my license as a full adult license instead of a provisional minor license (assuming they accept it in the first place)? In California, minors are only given provisional licenses and I would assume BC has a similar system. Some of the information I’m searching up on the internet is conflicting so I’m lost. I really need a car there and I’m not going to buy one in Canada, especially if my home country is right next door. Thank you!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will be attending UBC next semester as a US international student. I work in private equity, and I will need a car to meet clients and colleagues in Seattle frequently. I was wondering, will Canada force me to get a BC license and register my car in BC if I keep it there for longer than 6 months? I have a California license and my car is registered in California. I do not want to swap it out for a Canadian one as my license is attached to so many things (insurance, medical documents, and other records). I will be a temporary resident of Canada for 3 years, so will the BC government give me an exception to drive my car in Canada? Is my US license and insurance valid in Canada? I’m still 18 years old, I have a full adult unrestricted California license, but I heard in Canada that you have to be 19 to be an adult, so will BC consider my license as a full adult license instead of a provisional minor license (assuming they accept it in the first place)? In California, minors are only given provisional licenses and I would assume BC has a similar system. Some of the information I’m searching up on the internet is conflicting so I’m lost. I really need a car there and I’m not going to buy one in Canada, especially if my home country is right next door. Thank you!
You can’t remain in Canada for that long with your American license, registration, insurance, etc. 3 years is a significant amount of time.