+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drivers License exchange requirements

KitKat

Jan 12, 2014
I am a Canadian citizen and in the process if sponsoring my husband who is an American and holds a driver's license from Florida, we understand that he is required to apply for an Ontario driver's license within 60 days of residing in Ontario. However if he leaves to go back to Florida does the 60 day requirement renew again before an exchange is required?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It a question if he is moving to ON or just visiting. If he is moving to ON, intending to live in ON more than 6 months a year, then he will need to exchange his license within 2 months. If he is not moving to ON just yet, just visiting, then he can drive on his license for up to 3 months or ever longer if he has an international driving permit, see http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drive-ontario-visitors

KitKat

Jan 12, 2014
Thanks for your reply!

He is visiting for now and has been here for 1 month; he will be moving here eventually but has to go back to America to get his car so wondering if he leaves Canada to return to America and comes back if the 60 days renews giving us some buffer time to exchange his license as he does not have an international permit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he is only visiting now and will leave again, then I think you are free to define his coming back as the time that he will be moving so he should have 2 months from that time.