+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drivers Licences?

thierry2610

May 19, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm from Australia and heading over to Vancouver Canada on a IEC/WHP visa this Thursday. Here in Australia I have a full unrestricted New South Wales drivers licence and am wondering what the go is with drivers licences in BC Canada. I may be hiring cars or possibly buying my own over there, taking short trips to the US and all. My current Australian drivers licence expires very early July this year.

Am I able to get a Canadian licence when there or just renew my Aussie one here and continue using over there? Will it be straight forward or tests involved? Anyone tended to this before??

Cheers guys

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thierry2610 said:
Hi guys,

I'm from Australia and heading over to Vancouver Canada on a IEC/WHP visa this Thursday. Here in Australia I have a full unrestricted New South Wales drivers licence and am wondering what the go is with drivers licences in BC Canada. I may be hiring cars or possibly buying my own over there, taking short trips to the US and all. My current Australian drivers licence expires very early July this year.

Am I able to get a Canadian licence when there or just renew my Aussie one here and continue using over there? Will it be straight forward or tests involved? Anyone tended to this before??

Cheers guys
http://www.canada.embassy.gov.au/otwa/drivinglicences.html

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
thierry2610 said:
Hi guys,

Cheers guys
As Johnny already posted, BC accepts Australian drivers licenses. When I ( German citizen ) came to Canada in 2012, I had
my German license replaced for a small fee. No road test or anything required.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
You'll need what they call 'proof of driving experience'. http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

It's possible the licence itself could suffice as the proof of experience, the site doesn't really make this clear. I'd pick up the document from Vicroads before you leave as this will be much easier.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
LPS said:
You'll need what they call 'proof of driving experience'. http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

It's possible the licence itself could suffice as the proof of experience, the site doesn't really make this clear. I'd pick up the document from Vicroads before you leave as this will be much easier.
Or the NSW equivalent, as OP is not from Victoria :p

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013