+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver license

robfis

Star Member
Jan 4, 2009
I have a question please: does a driver license need to be renewed after 5 yrs?
Are they checking residency status at renewal again?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see from your other posts that you were in BC. According to http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/renew-replace/renewing-licence/renewing-dl they don't ask for proof of residency, just 2 pieces of ID and your fee.

choson86

Sep 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regarding driver's license,

I have my Korea license and I know that I'm able to change it to a Canadian one.
However I think there's a line saying that I should exchange my driver's license within 6 months entering Canada or something...

I immigrated to Canada in 2002... so that doesn't work and plus I got the license last year so 6 months is over..

Has anyone heard of such rule when you need to change your driver's license from another country???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to exhange it usually within 3 months of arrival if you are driving. If you have not been driving, it doesn't really matter. You should try it anyway.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope you are not from DPRK (North Korea) because you cannot exchange the driver licence. ;D

choson86

Sep 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
I hope you are not from DPRK (North Korea) because you cannot exchange the driver licence. ;D
Hey all

Yes, my Korean driver's license is still valid. Should I give it a try for renewal?

P.S. I'm from the Gangnam Style part of Korea lol

jonathan1977

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Taipei
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/Jan/2007
IELTS Request
15/06/2009
File Transfer...
17/06/2011
Med's Request
waiting
Dear Leon

I finished my study in Toronto and left in 2002 as a visa student.

My driver's license from Ontario has been since Mar, 2003.

Now, I am going back to Vancouver Canada as a PR this Dec.

Do I have to re-take the test and start all over again in order to get my driver's license in BC? Or I can just renewal it?

thank you in advance

Jonathan

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
jonathan1977 said:
Dear Leon

I finished my study in Toronto and left in 2002 as a visa student.

My driver's license from Ontario has been since Mar, 2003.

Now, I am going back to Vancouver Canada as a PR this Dec.

Do I have to re-take the test and start all over again in order to get my driver's license in BC? Or I can just renewal it?

thank you in advance

Jonathan
Please, read the ICBC guidelines before posting questions already answered: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/renew-replace/renewing-licence#licence_expired_more_than_three_years_ago. Good luck!

sadiajawad

May 16, 2023
I arrived on LMIA based WP with my family (Husband, Spouse, 2 Kids). My wife received Temporary Resident Visa to stay with me until my WP expires. May I know if my wife is eligible to get a driver license.