+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

don’t know where to start

allison1892

Mar 29, 2018
I live in the U.S and my fiancée lives in Ontario. We’re planning on moving me up here but I’m really confused and don’t know where I need to start. We’re choosing to not get married until we live together so we can plan our wedding so sponsorship isn’t an option for us. I also don’t qualify for express entry. Please help!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I live in the U.S and my fiancée lives in Ontario. We’re planning on moving me up here but I’m really confused and don’t know where I need to start. We’re choosing to not get married until we live together so we can plan our wedding so sponsorship isn’t an option for us. I also don’t qualify for express entry. Please help!!
You cannot legally moved to Canada until you either have PR status or have another type of permit that allows you to live in Canada (e.g. work permit, study permit). If you don't qualify for Express Entry, then your most realistic option is to be sponsored for PR by your fiancee once you are either married or have lived together for a full year continuously and are common law.

Until then, all you can do is visit temporarily. US visitors are often allowed a six month visit - although if you are allowed into Canada and how long you are allowed into Canada will be up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border. As a visitor, you are not allowed to work or study here. You also won't be covered under the health care system.