+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does social media help with common law acceptance

Jessncaro

Mar 11, 2020
Hello, me and my german partner will have our proof of 1 year living together by the end of November. However by that time we would have been together for 2 years. Our first year together we have lived in the same town but different rentals and nothing on paper to show our relationship. Although could we use social media and letters from friends to help? Do Air b&b trips work? We also made a joint bank account last summer and I'm sure that helps as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, me and my german partner will have our proof of 1 year living together by the end of November. However by that time we would have been together for 2 years. Living in the same town but different rentals and nothing on paper to show our relationship. Although could we use social media and letters from friends to help? Do Air b&b trips work? We also made a joint bank account last summer and I'm sure that helps as well.
Social media proves you are in a relationship but doesn't prove common law. The same is true of Air B&B bookings.

What you want to show to prove common law is strong proof of cohabitation at the same address. The joint bank account helps provided it will be at least one year old at the time you submit your application. However you need more than this.

Why do you have different rentals if you are living together? Are you not living together at the same location?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry I meant to say our first year together we didn't move in together. But our 2nd year we did
You still need concrete proof that you lived together for the 1 continuous year. Things like both being on a lease. Both having mail with the same address and the date is a good proof. You must need proof from the beginning of your time living together and throughout the year.