+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my job qualify for international work experience for express entry?

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
Hi.

I have been working for a company remotely and my payment is based on % of work done and milestones.. apart from this, I will also receive a % of revenue once the project is done.

My question is : does this job qualify for Permanent residence? I work about 35 hours a week which meets the minimum requirement.. and my employer is willing to write me a reference letter stating the same as well.

Would this count as misrepresentation because on certain months, I didn't receive payment?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi.

I have been working for a company remotely and my payment is based on % of work done and milestones.. apart from this, I will also receive a % of revenue once the project is done.

My question is : does this job qualify for Permanent residence? I work about 35 hours a week which meets the minimum requirement.. and my employer is willing to write me a reference letter stating the same as well.

Would this count as misrepresentation because on certain months, I didn't receive payment?
You can count it if your NOC is skilled (NOC A, B or 0), and at least one year of continuous full-time, paid employment. Your letter will state your salary, time worked and job responsibilities. If explained in the employment letter then it should not be a problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.

Do you get regular salary payments even if they are different amounts? For example biweekly which is the most common interval. Is this a start-up? Does the employer have an office space? Do they give you T4s? Are you working from Canada for a Canadian employer? What type of WP do you have?

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
Do you get regular salary payments even if they are different amounts?
YES. But they're not regular.. and the amount is not even the same
For example biweekly which is the most common interval.
Does the employer have an office space?
No
It is not a regular payment. It's based on milestones reached. I got a payment once in Feb and once in June.

Is this a start-up?
YES

Do they give you T4s?
No. What are those?

Are you working from Canada for a Canadian employer?
No. I'm not based in Canada and my employer isn't either.

What type of WP do you have?
I am not on any work permit. I'm based in India and I work remotely for a Malaysian startup.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
YES. But they're not regular.. and the amount is not even the same

It is not a regular payment. It's based on milestones reached. I got a payment once in Feb and once in June.

YES

No. What are those?

No. I'm not based in Canada and my employer isn't either.

I am not on any work permit. I'm based in India and I work remotely for a Malaysian startup.
Have you received any tax records for your salary in India or Malaysia? Did you get a share of ownership for not getting a regular salary? How are you living if you only get paid every few months? The fact that you aren’t getting regular payments and are working remotely make it quite difficult to prove that you have worked the hours you are declaring. You can certainly try but you may run into obstacles.

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
You can count it if your NOC is skilled (NOC A, B or 0)
The NOC code is 2174
at least one year of continuous full-time, paid employment.
I will reach my one year soon. I work around 35 hours which counts as full time. My payments are sporadic and not regular.

Your letter will state your salary
My employer is 100% willing to vouch for me. He has suggested entering the total amount I gained from him over the year rather than mention each and every payment.

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
Have you received any tax records for your salary in India or Malaysia?
I have filed ITRs in India but I don't make enough to pay tax as such

Did you get a share of ownership for not getting a regular salary?
In a way, yes. I get 5% of all profits generated by the company. Problem is our project is not complete and so, can't generate revenue.

How are you living if you only get paid every few months?
Well, I live with my parents.

The fact that you aren’t getting regular payments and are working remotely make it quite difficult to prove that you have worked the hours you are declaring
That is what I was worried about.

You can certainly try but you may run into obstacles.
My employer is 100% willing to vouch for me, though. I mean ultimately, that is what matters, right?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My employer is 100% willing to vouch for me, though. I mean ultimately, that is what matters, right?
The short answer to that question is no. IRCC relies on a variety of factors to confirm someone has the required work experience. The employer letter is just one of them.

IRCC may ask for proof of regular compensation.

You can certainly try and see what happens.

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
IRCC relies on a variety of factors to confirm someone has the required work experience.
Like what actually? I checked all official info.. and it usually says stuff like you need a reference letter and they'll call up the employer to verify.

IRCC may ask for proof of regular compensation.
Salary slips?

You can certainly try and see what happens.
I certainly will. I'm just wondering. Would a reference letter that said "He worked from Jan 2022 - Jan 2023 (both dates included) and was paid MYR xx." count as misrepresentation or would it simply count as invalid work experience? The latter isn't that bad. The former is terrible.

I've deliberately eschewed the word 'salary'.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Like what actually? I checked all official info.. and it usually says stuff like you need a reference letter and they'll call up the employer to verify.

Salary slips?

I certainly will. I'm just wondering. Would a reference letter that said "He worked from Jan 2022 - Jan 2023 (both dates included) and was paid MYR xx." count as misrepresentation or would it simply count as invalid work experience? I've deliberately eschewed the word 'salary'.
Yes, IRCC will sometimes request salary slips or bank statements to show regular deposits.

I think you are fine if the letter states as you've indicated above. I would make sure your employer avoids using the word "salary" since you were not paid a regular salary. If your employer writes the letter as you've show above, that looks good to me from the perspective of avoiding any misrepresentation.

Good luck.

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
bank statements to show regular deposits.
I can show deposits.. but not regular ones... it's more like a contract job where you get paid based on % of work completed.. and milestones.

Like I got paid through paypal and wise (transferwise).

I would make sure your employer avoids using the word "salary" since you were not paid a regular salary
I'm gonna literally draft the letter for him and ask him to print, sign and send me a scanned copy.

If your employer writes the letter as you've show above, that looks good to me from the perspective of avoiding any misrepresentation.
Sounds good.

Thank you for your help, buddy.