+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does ETA count as "valid temporary residence status"?

Skvictus

Jan 17, 2024
Hello,
My wife is from Korea (I'm from Canada) and we've been married for 15 years.
We've recently made the decision to move to Canada. I intend to apply to sponsor my wife to become a permanent resident. As I understand it, the options available to us are to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class or apply from abroad (we are currently living in Japan). Because we intend to leave for Canada in just 9 weeks, it seemed a better idea to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.
I've read elsewhere that there is a small chance that my wife could be denied entry to Canada if it appears that she does not intend to leave at the end of her ETA visa. We've accounted for this and purchased return tickets. We will also be sure to avoid carrying multiple bags or otherwise giving the impression that she is anything other than a tourist. Although we accept there is some risk, it seemed to be a reasonable plan...
However, while reading the documentation on the IRCC website, I came across this information, to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class "your spouse or common law partner must either: have valid temporary residence status or be exempt from needing this status under a public policy that was set out in 2005".
My question is this... Does and ETA visa provide a person with "valid temporary residence status"?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When your wife arrives with eta and is admitted to Canada she will have valid temporary residency status. That's what admitting her means.

If asked she can say she will return whenever required.

Reactions: YVR123

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
In the last 3 years my husband has entered Canada at YVR with zero interaction with CBSA - he has used self service kiosks. A return ticket is good and ensures that the airline doesnt refuse her boarding in addition to any CBSA questions. We also considered inland as we have hard deadline of being in Canada in May however opted outland in the event he has to travel during the process - he has a daughter in new york so it was important he could do so if needed. Your plan seems sensible.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the last 3 years my husband has entered Canada at YVR with zero interaction with CBSA - he has used self service kiosks. A return ticket is good and ensures that the airline doesnt refuse her boarding in addition to any CBSA questions. We also considered inland as we have hard deadline of being in Canada in May however opted outland in the event he has to travel during the process - he has a daughter in new york so it was important he could do so if needed. Your plan seems sensible.
I also used self service kiosks at YVR but I have some interaction with CBSA.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
I also used self service kiosks at YVR but I have some interaction with CBSA.
Me as well, as the Canadian Citizen - I often get grilled/questioned about where I have been ect; I got secondary in 2013. He breezes through everytime. He was a Green Card holder and crossed the border into Canada hundreds of times when he lived in the US between 2011-2015 as he drove for Greyhound in NY/VT/NH/Michigan.
Who knows the inner workings of CBSA??!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
My wife is from Korea (I'm from Canada) and we've been married for 15 years.
We've recently made the decision to move to Canada. I intend to apply to sponsor my wife to become a permanent resident. As I understand it, the options available to us are to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class or apply from abroad (we are currently living in Japan). Because we intend to leave for Canada in just 9 weeks, it seemed a better idea to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.
I've read elsewhere that there is a small chance that my wife could be denied entry to Canada if it appears that she does not intend to leave at the end of her ETA visa. We've accounted for this and purchased return tickets. We will also be sure to avoid carrying multiple bags or otherwise giving the impression that she is anything other than a tourist. Although we accept there is some risk, it seemed to be a reasonable plan...
However, while reading the documentation on the IRCC website, I came across this information, to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class "your spouse or common law partner must either: have valid temporary residence status or be exempt from needing this status under a public policy that was set out in 2005".
My question is this... Does and ETA visa provide a person with "valid temporary residence status"?
You can consider applying now as outland. There is no special advantage for inland and outland could apply for OWP once the PA is inside Canada and the application has been received (email of AOR is received with applcation number).

But as responded, she will be on visitor status as temporary residence status once she entered via eTA.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FWIW, he would have interacted with CBSA, when handing the officer the document from the PIK machine. The officer has the right to question all persons and send them to Secondary inspection...even if the PIK doesn't flag them.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured