+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents to apply for during soft landing

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Which are the documents one should apply for during softlanding? (SIN, Driving license, OHIP etc)? Is it recommended to apply for a bank account while soft landing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree that unless you plan on returning to Ontario within a month you don't qualify to apply for OHIP and should not apply for the card.

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Hi, thank you for your responses. Yes, I realise that OHIP shouldn't be applied for during soft landing, my intention was to get to know the other documents that are suggested to be applied for during soft landing? (Sorry for the lack of clarity in my question!)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, thank you for your responses. Yes, I realise that OHIP shouldn't be applied for during soft landing, my intention was to get to know the other documents that are suggested to be applied for during soft landing? (Sorry for the lack of clarity in my question!)
SIN # and PR card.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
does this mean I cannot travel directly from US and stay in Canada for 15 days?
Travelling from the US

You can travel to Canada from the United States to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• we approved your application and
  • we sent you a CoPR
Does living for 15 days means you are settling in Canada?

Can you do it?
Probably yes

Should you do it?
Depends on you as a person. Do you want to bend rules and take advantage of a loophole?

HiteshMiglani

May 8, 2020
Hi All,

Wanted to check if we can do a soft landing now in Canada.. My CoPR is expiring on 12/17/2021 and planning to do a soft landing from India and come back after 1 month.
Really appreciate any help/guidance

Regards
Hitesh

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

Wanted to check if we can do a soft landing now in Canada.. My CoPR is expiring on 12/17/2021 and planning to do a soft landing from India and come back after 1 month.
Really appreciate any help/guidance

Regards
Hitesh
As mentioned above, with covid, this all can change. The official statements are that PRs should be arriving in Canada 'permanently.'

There are few practical mechanisms to enforce that however. Plans can change. Etc.

That said, who knows what will happen going forward. No-one can give you strict guidance but if you arrive and depart shortly thereafter (despite the official statements), you may get less leniency down the road. Who knows?

But the reality is, there are few outright explicit ways govt can enforce the above, apart from what already exists in law and regs (which could change). "Soft landing" has never been an official thing anyway.

(Note: I'm in no way suggesting that what you want to do is a good idea, covid-wise, etc - too many different issues wrapped up in there.)