+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents required for first PR card

Bolder

Mar 5, 2023
I am preparing an application for a first PR card (landed more then 2 decades ago). In the list of required documents, I don't see a copy of IMM 1000 being required. I had already made a copy of this since it seemed certain, to me, they would need to see proof of landed immigrant status + proof of port of entry.

On the application form there are spaces to fill in landing date and place but they don't seem to require proof. I am a little confused about this. Is it a good idea to send in a copy of IMM 1000 anyway? Or would it be better not to, seeing as they don't seem to require it and I don't want to send in anymore then they are asking for? They do ask for a primary identity document with several document options, one of which is the passport used when originally landing + including a copy of the page with original landed immigrant stamp. But it looks like this is an option not a requirement. Is anyone here familiar with this?

Here is the link to the long PR card application instruction guide.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Here is a link to the document checklist.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/imm5644.html

I am trying to decide whether to mail in the application with a certified copy of IMM 1000 or to leave it out. I don't want to leave it out if it could potentially cause a delay in processing but don't want to include documents they don't require.

Thanks for any information.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am preparing an application for a first PR card (landed more then 2 decades ago). In the list of required documents, I don't see a copy of IMM 1000 being required. I had already made a copy of this since it seemed certain, to me, they would need to see proof of landed immigrant status + proof of port of entry.

On the application form there are spaces to fill in landing date and place but they don't seem to require proof. I am a little confused about this. Is it a good idea to send in a copy of IMM 1000 anyway? Or would it be better not to, seeing as they don't seem to require it and I don't want to send in anymore then they are asking for? They do ask for a primary identity document with several document options, one of which is the passport used when originally landing + including a copy of the page with original landed immigrant stamp. But it looks like this is an option not a requirement. Is anyone here familiar with this?

Here is the link to the long PR card application instruction guide.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Here is a link to the document checklist.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/imm5644.html

I am trying to decide whether to mail in the application with a certified copy of IMM 1000 or to leave it out. I don't want to leave it out if it could potentially cause a delay in processing but don't want to include documents they don't require.

Thanks for any information.
Are you applying from inside Canada and meet the Residency Obligations to apply for your PR Card. You landed more than 2 decades ago, but have you been in Canada the entire time, or for at least 730 days within the last 5 year window? Assume so.

I see this:

A copy of one of the following primary identity documents:
  • your valid passport or travel document or
  • the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident)
  • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country.
I did not see anything on the checklist asking for proof of PR status, just the primary identification requirement.

Bolder

Mar 5, 2023
Yes, been in Canada the entire time and easily meet the 730 days requirement.

Would the travel document mentioned be the IMM 1000? I think the IMM 1000 is not a travel document so I didn't think they were refering to that. I intend to send the passport copy with the landing stamp, I just thought they would for sure want a copy of the IMM 1000 but from reading the requirements it seems that is not the case. Any idea if it would be good to send a copy of the IMM 1000, anyway?

Became a PR prior to 2002 (when there were no PR cards) and have not traveled since that time so never applied for the PR card. The link you shared seems to be speaking to people who landed more recently and never received the PR card. I think form 5451 wouldn't apply in this case. Correct?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would the travel document mentioned be the IMM 1000? I think the IMM 1000 is not a travel document so I didn't think they were refering to that. I intend to send the passport copy with the landing stamp, I just thought they would for sure want a copy of the IMM 1000 but from reading the requirements it seems that is not the case. Any idea if it would be good to send a copy of the IMM 1000, anyway?
Travel document would be your foreign passport; some PRs (eg refugees) could have one issued by IRCC.

I don't see any harm in including copy of your IMM1000 - and in fact I'd recommend, and include also a short letter of explanation that you've never had a PR card.

Not required, perhaps, but then there's a risk IRCC has some files from decades ago not fully computerized, or only in some older separate database. Only a guess on my part but certainly no harm in including your landing form and a short letter.

Bolder

Mar 5, 2023
Yes, I was thinking there is no harm as well. I am still surprised they don't request the IMM 1000 and thought it might be best to send in only what they request since they should know what they need. I'll consider the letter- thanks for the advice.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, I was thinking there is no harm as well. I am still surprised they don't request the IMM 1000 and thought it might be best to send in only what they request since they should know what they need. I'll consider the letter- thanks for the advice.
I think the reason of not asking for IMM 1000 is that it hasn't been given for over 20 years. Very few cases will be applying for their first PR card.

IMM 1000
An IMM 1000 Record of Landing (also known as a Landing Paper) is a document that new Permanent Residents received when they landed in Canada prior to July 2002.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Generally I'd say just follow the instructions and don't overload with additional stuff, but in this case, it's only an extra two or three pages, and the circumstances are a bit unusual (since these docs not issued for so long and pre-digitization of everything).

Bolder

Mar 5, 2023
It does make more sense to me now that I see the newer COPR landing document comes with a UCI number, which they probably have digital records of. So, I will include the copy of the IMM 1000 and will consider including a letter. I guess it won't hurt but it is also self-explanatory that a PR card was not applied for due to not leaving North America. Although rare, I think it they must still encounter it from time to time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It does make more sense to me now that I see the newer COPR landing document comes with a UCI number, which they probably have digital records of. So, I will include the copy of the IMM 1000 and will consider including a letter. I guess it won't hurt but it is also self-explanatory that a PR card was not applied for due to not leaving North America. Although rare, I think it they must still encounter it from time to time.
Ah, you never received a UCI#? Then definitely I would include a letter.

And I would say that it is not at all self-explanatory that you never applied for a PR Card because stayed in north america.

Consider this: anyone who has been at IRCC less than 10 years, and that's probably going to apply to a lot or all of the 'entry level' admin staff working on the first evaluation of your application, have probably never seen a record of landing doc. And when they're doing sorting/triage at those first stages, you don't want your app to end up on the 'complicated' pile.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
https://newcomersincanada.ca/faq/uci/

How could a PR have been processed without CIC [then] issuing a UCI?
An unique number should be on IMM 1000 but it may not be the same as the current UCI.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/redir.do?redir=id_num

Record of Landing (IMM 1000) number
You will find this number in the remarks; section on the bottom right of the Record of Landing document issued to you by a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office or by the visa office where you submitted your application. Your Record of Landing number starts with a W; followed by nine numbers. (Example: W 000 000 000).

Bolder

Mar 5, 2023
Good point about the admin staff likely never having seen an IMM 1000. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good point about the admin staff likely never having seen an IMM 1000. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
There's also a good chance it'll go through with zero problems whatsoever, as you've clearly been n Canada long enough etc. But just to avoid any speed bumps.

Just out of curiosity, why not just apply for citizenship as well? Be done with all that.