+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you have to learn anything by heart for the test?

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
There are three things in the Discover Canada book that potentially has to be memorized by heart: the Oath, the Anthem, and a poem "In Flanders fields".
I understand, that one has to know the Oath and the Anthem by heart for the oath ceremony. My question is - does one have to memorize anything word for word for the test?
Also, is it required to know anything in both languages (English/French) or in any case to know in one language is enough? I heard that people sing in both languages at the ceremony.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The oath, no need to remember anything but the fact that you give allegiance to the queen and promise that you'll respect your duties as a citizen and respect the laws.
The anthem very easy to learn.
Just read the poem. If they ever ask you how it starts, it's a MCQ, and you'll easily understand that it probably doesn't begin with "O Canada, my home..."

And nah, you don't need to learn anything by heart for the oath ceremony.

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
So for the test if understand what's written in the book and have a knowledge in principle, this should be enough?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Pretty much yup.
The test will cover all the chapters, but I felt most questions, in a difficulty scale, were much nearer to, say "Who's John A MacDonald?" than "In which year did vietnamese refugees come to Canada?", and common sense will be more than enough for most, no need to learn the book by heart :)
It seems to be actually more of a french/english test than an academic exam verifying that you mastered the book content.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
There are three things in the Discover Canada book that potentially has to be memorized by heart: the Oath, the Anthem, and a poem "In Flanders fields".
I understand, that one has to know the Oath and the Anthem by heart for the oath ceremony. My question is - does one have to memorize anything word for word for the test?
Also, is it required to know anything in both languages (English/French) or in any case to know in one language is enough? I heard that people sing in both languages at the ceremony.
No this is not entirely true.

You will get the anthem and oath in copy form from which to sing and speak during the ceremony and yes we sang it also in French, with text.

There are though a couple of questions in the online tests, that are worth memorizing.

Nevertheless, I had no questions re the above.

Feb 15, 2018
Go through the Guide and pay special attention to the Pictures. I did my test yesterday and 4 questions (that's 20% !) were based on the Pictures. Good Luck !!!

Reactions: ibry

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
What? Why? Where did this come from? I wasnt planning on memorizing anything.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Technically speaking, unless stated otherwise (like the quotes by Laurier and Diefenbaker at the end of the book), everything in discover Canada can be covered...

That being said, noone will be asked about the 2nd word in the 3rd couplet of In Flanders Field... And everyone should be at a bare minimum very familiar with O Canada... :)

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Seym answered. Anything within the booklet, except for the quotes by Laurier and Diefenbaker (explicitly excluded), can be a subject for a question. Oath and Anthem are in the booklet.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Seym answered. Anything within the booklet, except for the quotes by Laurier and Diefenbaker (explicitly excluded), can be a subject for a question. Oath and Anthem are in the booklet.
yes, yes right i should have been specific, i was talking about memorizing for the oath ceremony. i realize that i didnt specify that when i posted. looks like you dont have to memorize anything for the oath ceremony.

i am not too worried about memorizing for the exam too. you need to have a general idea of how the anthem is structured since there are choices.