+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you card around your PR card?

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Hi,
Question for those who've gotten their PR card. Do you carry it around or just bring it along when you travel? I was wondering about this because I never carry my passport with me and have just used my healthcard for id. Also, since getting replace cards for lost ones sometimes takes 6 months, I'm a bit worried about losing it if I carry it around. Thanks for any answers!

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
You're not required by law to carry your Permanent Resident card (this differs from the USA where greencard holders must have them in their wallets at all times).

I've got mine in my wallet right now because I'm still showing it off to people! But I'll be taking it out soon and tucking it safely in my passport wallet that stays in my house unless I'm traveling. With a six month replacement time, you need to treat it like it's made of solid gold. ;)

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
AshesNdust said:
Hi,
Question for those who've gotten their PR card. Do you carry it around or just bring it along when you travel? I was wondering about this because I never carry my passport with me and have just used my healthcard for id. Also, since getting replace cards for lost ones sometimes takes 6 months, I'm a bit worried about losing it if I carry it around. Thanks for any answers!
No need to carry it. your Driving License serves as an acceptable ID everywhere.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Thanks! I'm looking forward to finally getting a Canadian ID with a photo. Now I just have to decide if I want to give up my US driver's license.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
AshesNdust said:
Thanks! I'm looking forward to finally getting a Canadian ID with a photo. Now I just have to decide if I want to give up my US driver's license.
In BC, they take your old license. Unlike the US, however, they don't have the authority to void the old one. As a test, I asked my old state to mail me a new one (you can request them online), and they gladly sent me a replacement card.

I don't drive with it, but sometimes it's handy to have another form of ID. Driving with two licenses is illegal in some provinces, and a bad idea in the rest.

As for whether or not to turn in your license, if you spend enough time driving in Canada, you will need to. There are laws about how long you can keep your old license before you are required to switch your license and plates over.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
kateg said:
In BC, they take your old license. Unlike the US, however, they don't have the authority to void the old one. As a test, I asked my old state to mail me a new one (you can request them online), and they gladly sent me a replacement card.

I don't drive with it, but sometimes it's handy to have another form of ID. Driving with two licenses is illegal in some provinces, and a bad idea in the rest.

As for whether or not to turn in your license, if you spend enough time driving in Canada, you will need to. There are laws about how long you can keep your old license before you are required to switch your license and plates over.
Thanks for that info, I might try that. I'm not worried about having to get a Canadian license because I don't have a car up here. I was thinking about switching to the Canadian license once I renewed my passport later this year. I figured I would request a passport card with the new passport. That way I'd have a US id I could keep in my wallet.
It might not be easy for me to get a replacement license, I don't have a address in the state I left. I do have an address in another state, but then I would have to go take the written test there. Might not be worth it.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Guys I have a question:

Is it during the time of first landing that you have to give the immigration the Passport Size Photos for PR cards, or do they already have the photos which was given at the time of visa stamping in the passport ?

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
atzquebec said:
Guys I have a question:

Is it during the time of first landing that you have to give the immigration the Passport Size Photos for PR cards, or do they already have the photos which was given at the time of visa stamping in the passport ?
You send in the photos with your PPR. When you get your CoPR, it will have a photo attached to one of the letters. When you land, immigration will keep the letter with the photo and get you the copy without it.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
AshesNdust said:
I figured I would request a passport card with the new passport. That way I'd have a US id I could keep in my wallet.
A passport card?
Sounds good but I don't think Canada provide it.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Gregor.Samsa said:
A passport card?
Sounds good but I don't think Canada provide it.
The US does and Canada should--although you can get an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) in some provinces, which you can use to cross the US-Canada border (must be a Canadian citizen). However, there is no Canadian passport card available to Canadian citizens who are not resident is a particular province.

gadaakhil

Nov 15, 2018
You can always create a Photo ID instead of driving license. So that way you can keep your foreign driving licence but still be able to use photo ID instead of passport for identification purposes. For example, in BC, you can get a photo ID from ICBC driving license office. It's just like California ID which can be used for identification purposes in California for the people who don't know to drive or are not wiling to drive or who cannot drive like old people or blind or people with special needs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can always create a Photo ID instead of driving license. So that way you can keep your foreign driving licence but still be able to use photo ID instead of passport for identification purposes. For example, in BC, you can get a photo ID from ICBC driving license office. It's just like California ID which can be used for identification purposes in California for the people who don't know to drive or are not wiling to drive or who cannot drive like old people or blind or people with special needs.
You are answering a post from 2016