+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do working hours 28 hours a week count as a full time?

annabellejia

Dec 21, 2018
hey guys! I am currently working in Canada as a chef with flexible hours, ususally 28 to 29 hours a week. It is a full time for the employer. but I saw the information from immigrantion website that I will need to work 30 hours a week to meet the requirements of Express Entry. Is it a strict requirments that I have to work 30 hours a week even though my employer considers me as full time working 28 hours a week?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
hey guys! I am currently working in Canada as a chef with flexible hours, ususally 28 to 29 hours a week. It is a full time for the employer. but I saw the information from immigrantion website that I will need to work 30 hours a week to meet the requirements of Express Entry. Is it a strict requirments that I have to work 30 hours a week even though my employer considers me as full time working 28 hours a week?
It doesn't count, but you don't necessarily need to increase your working hours to qualify. You'll just need to work for about an extra month to complete the 1560 hours (=1 year full-time equivalent)

annabellejia

Dec 21, 2018
It doesn't count, but you don't necessarily need to increase your working hours to qualify. You'll just need to work for about an extra month to complete the 1560 hours (=1 year full-time equivalent)
so it actually still counts but just i'll need more time for it? like instead of 1 year i gotta do 1 year and 1 month etc.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
so it actually still counts but just i'll need more time for it? like instead of 1 year i gotta do 1 year and 1 month etc.
You need to complete 1 year FTE (full time equivalent).

To do this, you need to work 1 year (52 weeks) for 30 or more hours per week = 30*52= 1560 hours. (any time above 30 hours each week does not count)

If you work less than 30h/week, you need to work until you complete the 1560 hours. Which in your case means almost 4 additional weeks assuming you work 28 h/week.

annabellejia

Dec 21, 2018
You need to complete 1 year FTE (full time equivalent).

To do this, you need to work 1 year (52 weeks) for 30 or more hours per week = 30*52= 1560 hours. (any time above 30 hours each week does not count)

If you work less than 30h/week, you need to work until you complete the 1560 hours. Which in your case means almost 4 additional weeks assuming you work 28 h/week.
That would be great! Cuz I thought it wont count at all if i work less than 30 hours a week and the hours i worked for 28 hours are wasted. Thanks a lot!!!
Also I got one more question, I actually dont hv any like chef or cooking certificate and I was trained in this specific resturaunt as a chef. If i would like to apply for EE as a chef, will it necessary for me to get a certificate?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
That would be great! Cuz I thought it wont count at all if i work less than 30 hours a week and the hours i worked for 28 hours are wasted. Thanks a lot!!!
Also I got one more question, I actually dont hv any like chef or cooking certificate and I was trained in this specific resturaunt as a chef. If i would like to apply for EE as a chef, will it necessary for me to get a certificate?
Not that I'm aware. I would suggest looking at the description of the NOC to see if any specific training is mandatory.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, you can use your part-time hours to qualify, just as Wolfpmd3 explained.

Be careful in choosing the NOC. Regardless of your job title, the job duties and responsibilities under the NOCs for cook (6322) and for Chef (6321)are different.

annabellejia

Dec 21, 2018
Yes, you can use your part-time hours to qualify, just as Wolfpmd3 explained.

Be careful in choosing the NOC. Regardless of your job title, the job duties and responsibilities under the NOCs for cook (6322) and for Chef (6321)are different.
Yeah I will check it carefully before I actually apply. Thank you so much!!!!