+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we require a covid plan from our university ?

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I am going to Simon Fraser, and I signed up for their studio residence for self-isolation. I havent receieved any plan or confirmation from them that my covid isolation is approved. Is it essential ? Are other universities doing it ?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I am going to Simon Fraser, and I signed up for their studio residence for self-isolation. I havent receieved any plan or confirmation from them that my covid isolation is approved. Is it essential ? Are other universities doing it ?
I also asked this yesterday here and on the FB group I follow, and no one said they got any from their university. I was asking because my uni said they don't give out any such approval letter. They expect their students to quarantine on campus but because I am travelling with my family, we can't do that. I sent them my alternative plan and asked them for a letter of approval. They responded that they are fine with my plan, but they don't usually give any approval letter for quarantine plan as IRCC does not require that from them.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I also asked this yesterday here and on the FB group I follow, and no one said they got any from their university. I was asking because my uni said they don't give out any such approval letter. They expect their students to quarantine on campus but because I am travelling with my family, we can't do that. I sent them my alternative plan and asked them for a letter of approval. They responded that they are fine with my plan, but they don't usually give any approval letter for quarantine plan as IRCC does not require that from them.
I suppose thats good enough. My university also said they dont provide such a plan and recommended I carry a print out of my isolation detail plans.

On another note, sorry to ask here, but do you know if someone final destination is Vancouver and they land in Montreal en route, do they have to do their covid test in Montreal ?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
I suppose thats good enough. My university also said they dont provide such a plan and recommended I carry a print out of my isolation detail plans.

On another note, sorry to ask here, but do you know if someone final destination is Vancouver and they land in Montreal en route, do they have to do their covid test in Montreal ?
Yes, you do the day 1 covid test in Montreal.

Reactions: ayesha_llk2

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
Yes, you do the day 1 covid test in Montreal.
Can anyone help with the below query?
My DLI is in vancouver and if I land in Toronto first (which will be the POE), My study permit will be issued from TORONTO. After this, Do I need to exit the airport and then come back for the connection flight from Toronto to Vancouver? (Assuming 3-5 hours layover time) Or I get the study permit, wait there and board my next flight to Vancouver without exiting the Airport?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Can anyone help with the below query?
My DLI is in vancouver and if I land in Toronto first (which will be the POE), My study permit will be issued from TORONTO. After this, Do I need to exit the airport and then come back for the connection flight from Toronto to Vancouver? (Assuming 3-5 hours layover time) Or I get the study permit, wait there and board my next flight to Vancouver without exiting the Airport?
No, you are expected to be in isolation until you get your result from your arrival test (even if you are fully vaccinated). You are required to stay in the airport until your connecting flight, then go straight into isolation until you get your result. If you are fully vaccinated and your result is negative, then you can start going about a free human, if you are not vaccinated and/or your result comes back positive, you stay in isolation for 14 days and report your symptoms (or lack thereof) daily on the arriveCan app.

Reactions: ayesha_llk2

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
No, you are expected to be in isolation until you get your result from your arrival test (even if you are fully vaccinated). You are required to stay in the airport until your connecting flight, then go straight into isolation until you get your result. If you are fully vaccinated and your result is negative, then you can start going about a free human, if you are not vaccinated and/or your result comes back positive, you stay in isolation for 14 days and report your symptoms (or lack thereof) daily on the arriveCan app.
Ok. That means
1. it's better to book a connection flight from Toronto only after we get the results and our quarantine plan should be in Toronto, not in Vancouver?
2. One more scenario, i am not sure if that's how it works.. So correct me if this s never the case.
what if I am on a direct flight to vancouver which has a stop over in Toronto (I won't get out of the airplane in Toronto as it is just a stop, not a connection flight). In this case my PoE will be Vancouver and I can show the quarantine plan based on Vancouver.. Is that correct ?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Ok. That means
1. it's better to book a connection flight from Toronto only after we get the results and our quarantine plan should be in Toronto, not in Vancouver?
2. One more scenario, i am not sure if that's how it works.. So correct me if this s never the case.
what if I am on a direct flight to vancouver which has a stop over in Toronto (I won't get out of the airplane in Toronto as it is just a stop, not a connection flight). In this case my PoE will be Vancouver and I can show the quarantine plan based on Vancouver.. Is that correct ?
Is Vancouver on the list of airports that is approved for international flights? If yes, then you can show quarantine plan for Vancouver as that will be your POE.
If your POE has to be Toronto, you can still book your flight directly to Vancouver which is your final stop. You then need to speak to the airline that's responsible for your last leg about rescheduling your connecting flight after you've completed your 3 day hotel quarantine. Most airlines have been quite accommodating about changes.

All of this is assuming you are flying before 9th August.

Reactions: EmJ_BLR

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
Is Vancouver on the list of airports that is approved for international flights? If yes, then you can show quarantine plan for Vancouver as that will be your POE.
If your POE has to be Toronto, you can still book your flight directly to Vancouver which is your final stop. You then need to speak to the airline that's responsible for your last leg about rescheduling your connecting flight after you've completed your 3 day hotel quarantine. Most airlines have been quite accommodating about changes.

All of this is assuming you are flying before 9th August.
Ok.. Got it.. Thanks
Yes. YVR is one of four airports in Canada accepting international flights.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
This is incorrect.

As per: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

"If you qualified for the fully vaccinated exemption, you’re not required to quarantine until you get your results."

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
This is incorrect.

As per: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

"If you qualified for the fully vaccinated exemption, you’re not required to quarantine until you get your results."
Thanks for the correction - I see the page was updated 2 days ago. Previously you were still required to provide a quarantine plan even if fully vaccinated, and up till yesterday people were still being asked to show their plan although fully vaccinated (personal experiences of people posted on FB group).

Reactions: Shmiler

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
I believe it is still sensible to formulate a plan for quarantine, and to have that available for scrutiny if required.

The only real bit of interest is that you no longer have to quarantine while waiting for the result of your arrival test.

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
How can I describe my aunt's house in the quarantine plan? Their 1st floor is vacant and also has a separate bathroom.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
How can I describe my aunt's house in the quarantine plan? Their 1st floor is vacant and also has a separate bathroom.
Same as you've described it here :). Your quarantine plan does not have to be elaborate - it just needs to meet the requirements of an approved quarantine place (requirements can be found on CIC's website). Make sure your aunt writes a letter agreeing for you to stay there. If possible, ask her to send you pics of the place and have that on your phone to show officers, in case they ask.

Reactions: inkpot