+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we need to provide previous Employment Letter & T4 for Citizenship Application?

Lucky_Reno

Jan 25, 2017
Good day,

Just want to ask:
1. Do we need to provide previous Employment Letter & T4 for Citizenship Application to CIC?
Namely, just like what we provide to CIC when we applied for PR, which include: Title, Salary, Duties, Employment Period and etc.

One of my friend said CIC may ask for the previous Employment Letter when you submit the application for citizenship.
I do not know where he find these info as according to CIC citizenship document check list and application guide, CIC do not ask for such document as Employment Letter.

2. Do we need to provide T4 and Pay Stubs from previous employment for Citizenship Application to CIC?
According to CIC, we may have filed income taxes in any three of the five taxation years before the date of application, as known as the "Income Tax Filling".

If the Notice of Assessment from CRA only will be good enough to comply the tax filling which has shown the total income in sum of all T4s for each year. Or they will check T4s by T4s or each paystubs?

For some of previous T4s and paystubs, I has not be able to find them now.

If you know the answer, please advise.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Good day,

Just want to ask:
1. Do we need to provide previous Employment Letter & T4 for Citizenship Application to CIC?
Namely, just like what we provide to CIC when we applied for PR, which include: Title, Salary, Duties, Employment Period and etc.

One of my friend said CIC may ask for the previous Employment Letter when you submit the application for citizenship.
I do not know where he find these info as according to CIC citizenship document check list and application guide, CIC do not ask for such document as Employment Letter.

2. Do we need to provide T4 and Pay Stubs from previous employment for Citizenship Application to CIC?
According to CIC, we may have filed income taxes in any three of the five taxation years before the date of application, as known as the "Income Tax Filling".

If the Notice of Assessment from CRA only will be good enough to comply the tax filling which has shown the total income in sum of all T4s for each year. Or they will check T4s by T4s or each paystubs?

For some of previous T4s and paystubs, I has not be able to find them now.

If you know the answer, please advise.
Please follow the checklist. No need to submit anything that is not asked for.

1) No, No
2) No, No

On the application form, we need to give authorization to IRCC, so that they can check CRA records automatically.

Lucky_Reno

Jan 25, 2017
Please follow the checklist. No need to submit anything that is not asked for.

1) No, No
2) No, No

On the application form, we need to give authorization to IRCC, so that they can check CRA records automatically.
Hi razerblade,
Thanks for your reply.

One more question, so as you said IRCC will check with CRA regard the records,
What does "record" mean, the Notice of Assessment or all T4s for each years?

During the period, I do have couple T4As for self-employed,
but there is also a period of employment, my employer did not provide T4 or T4A,
so I have to claim the income and pay the tax myself that year,based on the checks my boss give to me.

Thanks so so much!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi razerblade,
Thanks for your reply.

One more question, so as you said IRCC will check with CRA regard the records,
What does "record" mean, the Notice of Assessment or all T4s for each years?

During the period, I do have couple T4As for self-employed,
but there is also a period of employment, my employer did not provide T4 or T4A,
so I have to claim the income and pay the tax myself that year,based on the checks my boss give to me.

Thanks so so much!
As long as you filed your taxes for the years that you were required to, you should be fine. I would think they're just interested in the NOA. I don't think they care about T4s.