+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to withdraw cizitenship application before re-applying?

Canada_2002

Oct 19, 2023
Hello Experts and Helpers :)

Short version of the question: is it possible to send a new citizenship application without withdrawing the current one first (which has gone to a citizenship judge for a decision)?
Or do we need to withdraw first and wait for confirmation of withdrawal, before re-applying?

Long version of the story:
I am helping my mom (elder in her 80's) with her citizenship application. She has submitted it in September 2021. Back in October of 2023 she got a letter from IRCC indicating a mistake in the physical presence dates (43 days short of the required 1095). After acknowledging the mistake and responding to the letter with the corrected date, the file is now sent to a judge for final decision (as of March 2024). This is the information we received from our local MP who is tracking the file with IRCC. They said that there is no timeline for a judge's decision, and you might get a faster response by re-applying. They also implied that there is no need to withdraw first, which is the part I am suspicious about...

Extra info: my mom has been continuously in Canada since Jan 2021, so now she has well over 1095 days.

So the questions that I am trying to get your help and opinion with are:
1) Should we wait for the judge's response, or proceed with re-applying as it could get to results faster?
2) If re-apply, do we need to withdraw first? Or can we have the two active applications and whichever is successful faster, cancel the other one?
3) If we need to withdraw first, can we re-apply right away or do we need to wait for the withdrawal confirmation?

Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Experts and Helpers :)

Short version of the question: is it possible to send a new citizenship application without withdrawing the current one first (which has gone to a citizenship judge for a decision)?
Or do we need to withdraw first and wait for confirmation of withdrawal, before re-applying?

Long version of the story:
I am helping my mom (elder in her 80's) with her citizenship application. She has submitted it in September 2021. Back in October of 2023 she got a letter from IRCC indicating a mistake in the physical presence dates (43 days short of the required 1095). After acknowledging the mistake and responding to the letter with the corrected date, the file is now sent to a judge for final decision (as of March 2024). This is the information we received from our local MP who is tracking the file with IRCC. They said that there is no timeline for a judge's decision, and you might get a faster response by re-applying. They also implied that there is no need to withdraw first, which is the part I am suspicious about...

Extra info: my mom has been continuously in Canada since Jan 2021, so now she has well over 1095 days.

So the questions that I am trying to get your help and opinion with are:
1) Should we wait for the judge's response, or proceed with re-applying as it could get to results faster?
2) If re-apply, do we need to withdraw first? Or can we have the two active applications and whichever is successful faster, cancel the other one?
3) If we need to withdraw first, can we re-apply right away or do we need to wait for the withdrawal confirmation?

Many thanks!
Withdraw the first application. Don't wait for the judge to respond. There is zero chance of approval if she is short days to meet the residency requirement. Submit a new application.