+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to surrender my Indian Driver's License when I apply for a G1 License?

MisterSandman

Apr 7, 2022
I have an Indian Driver's License, but I have been living in Canada for the last few years and have not used it. I was going to apply for the G1 license (written test), and then eventually take the G2 and G road test.

Do I have to surrender my Indian DL?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I have an Indian Driver's License, but I have been living in Canada for the last few years and have not used it. I was going to apply for the G1 license (written test), and then eventually take the G2 and G road test.

Yes. You'll have to surrender your Indian licence in order to get your G1. It's illegal to hold more than one jurisdictions license in Canada.

Sunil.raaj

Jun 20, 2023

Yes, you'll need to surrender your Indian Drivers license after you pass your Drivers test and in return, you'll receive a Class 5 driver's license.
Although it's not legal to hold on to both Indian and Canadian driver's license, you can get your Indian drivers license re-issued when you visit India.

Reactions: Buletruck

bhindibhinda

Dec 18, 2012
No. Please dont since none is giving any weightage for your indian driving experience and it is illegal to have 2 DL in different provinces in canada but there is no issue of having indian licence besides who will give you a DL on arrival in india unless you are the DC of a district. So....just store it carefully. You will need it someday.