+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to pay 13% tax while registering my car in Ontario?

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi,

I am a new PR to Canada. I moved to Ottawa on July 25th. I got my car registered today in Service Ontario. They charged me 13% tax for registering my vehicle . Is that right ?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi,

I am a new PR to Canada. I moved to Ottawa on July 25th. I got my car registered today in Service Ontario. They charged me 13% tax for registering my vehicle . Is that right ?

Your message is vague. Did you bring your car with you? If so, was it declared on your Goods to Follow list? If not, did you purchase it in Ottawa? Was it new or used?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Or did you buy this car privately ?

From the Ministry of Finance-Ontario

When you purchase a vehicle privately in Canada from a person who is not a GST/HST registrant, 13% RST is payable. For vehicles purchased privately within Ontario, RST is based on the purchase price or the vehicle's wholesale value (Red Book), whichever is greater. Specified vehicles without a Red Book value (e.g., off road vehicles, boats, aircraft, etc.) are taxed at 13% based on the purchase price. Specified vehicles purchased outside Ontario but within Canada are also taxed at 13% on the purchase price.

RST is collected at ServiceOntario centres across Ontario. You do not pay RST to the seller.

In some cases, you may not have to pay RST if:

you receive a vehicle from a family member as a gift
you are a qualifying foreign representative/official or Status Indian
the vehicle is received as part of an estate bequest
you are a registered motor vehicle dealer with a valid Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council number that is acquiring a vehicle for resale purposes
you are relocating your home to Ontario and you are bringing in a vehicle you purchased before you moved.

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Your message is vague. Did you bring your car with you? If so, was it declared on your Goods to Follow list? If not, did you purchase it in Ottawa? Was it new or used?
Sorry for the vague question. Here are details:
1. I drove my car across the border
2. I never submitted a goods to follow list when I landed for the first time.

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Or did you buy this car privately ?

From the Ministry of Finance-Ontario

When you purchase a vehicle privately in Canada from a person who is not a GST/HST registrant, 13% RST is payable. For vehicles purchased privately within Ontario, RST is based on the purchase price or the vehicle's wholesale value (Red Book), whichever is greater. Specified vehicles without a Red Book value (e.g., off road vehicles, boats, aircraft, etc.) are taxed at 13% based on the purchase price. Specified vehicles purchased outside Ontario but within Canada are also taxed at 13% on the purchase price.

RST is collected at ServiceOntario centres across Ontario. You do not pay RST to the seller.

In some cases, you may not have to pay RST if:

you receive a vehicle from a family member as a gift
you are a qualifying foreign representative/official or Status Indian
the vehicle is received as part of an estate bequest
you are a registered motor vehicle dealer with a valid Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council number that is acquiring a vehicle for resale purposes
you are relocating your home to Ontario and you are bringing in a vehicle you purchased before you moved.

Its a used car that I owned in USA. I drove the across the border.