+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to keep filing taxes in USA?

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
I was a H1B worker in USA (i140 approved) and in 2019 I moved to Canada (now trying for a PR and Citizenship). I do not have any income in USA anymore so should I keep filing my USA tax returns every year? Will not filing USA taxes have any impact on my Green Card in future if I decide to go back?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was a H1B worker in USA (i140 approved) and in 2019 I moved to Canada (now trying for a PR and Citizenship). I do not have any income in USA anymore so should I keep filing my USA tax returns every year? Will not filing USA taxes have any impact on my Green Card in future if I decide to go back?
If you are no longer working for the US employer under H1B then you don’t have to file US taxes after the tax year you stopped working.

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
If you are no longer working for the US employer under H1B then you don’t have to file US taxes after the tax year you stopped working.
So I suppose tax filing is only required if you already have an approved Green Card but are living outside USA?

sunnysatya

May 12, 2021
have a quick question
once you have approved i140 , can you leave employer (no job and move to different country) and not to have any company hold your visa? will your i140 still valid or is green card still processing?

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
have a quick question
once you have approved i140 , can you leave employer (no job and move to different country) and not to have any company hold your visa? will your i140 still valid or is green card still processing?
I believe if you leave your employer 6 months after your i140 is approved then your priority date is preserved even if the employer withdraws your i140. After you start with a new employer, you will have to start the process all over again (Perm, i140 etc) but you will get the same priority date as in your first i140.

sguru01

May 11, 2021
I believe if you leave your employer 6 months after your i140 is approved then your priority date is preserved even if the employer withdraws your i140. After you start with a new employer, you will have to start the process all over again (Perm, i140 etc) but you will get the same priority date as in your first i140.
Hi Astraldust, Did you file the tax then? As a resident alien or non-resident alien? I have the same scenario as you (I140 approved) working for Canadian employer on a PR though. Wondering if I should file taxes as resident or non-resident alien for the first year i moved out of the US. Can you please advise what you did?