+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to apply for PR when married?

cal31

Feb 16, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married early next year to a Canadian and want to know do I need to apply for PR before I become a Canadian citizen. I love Canada and will be staying here indefinitely.

I originally thought I would just apply for an open work permit straight after i get married then normally continue to live in Canada for a 3rd year and then after that I would apply directly to become a citizen. Do I still have to make my partner sponsor me for PR?

If so, can they sponsor me for PR straight after I am married? or do I have to wait a certain amount of time?

Also last question...... does my two years of living in Canada as a temp work visa go towards my 1095 days required for citizenship? I know it only counts as 50% when you are on PR status but what about when you are married? does it count 100% ??

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married early next year to a Canadian and want to know do I need to apply for PR before I become a Canadian citizen. I love Canada and will be staying here indefinitely.

I originally thought I would just apply for an open work permit straight after i get married then normally continue to live in Canada for a 3rd year and then after that I would apply directly to become a citizen. Do I still have to make my partner sponsor me for PR?

If so, can they sponsor me for PR straight after I am married? or do I have to wait a certain amount of time?

Also last question...... does my two years of living in Canada as a temp work visa go towards my 1095 days required for citizenship? I know it only counts as 50% when you are on PR status but what about when you are married? does it count 100% ??

Thank you!
Sounds like you need to do a lot more reading and research. You cannot go straight from a work permit to citizenship - you need to become a PR first. Secondly, simply marrying a Canadian doesn't get you an open work permit. Yes - your partner can sponsor you for PR as soon as you are married.

Rules regarding citizenship are the same regardless of whether you are single or married.