+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i need certified copies to apply for citizenship?

Justincase

Jul 30, 2010
Hello,
I'm in the process of applying for Canadian Citizenship. I'm sending a copy of my HighSchool diploma and transcript, which I received in USA. Do The copies need to be certified ?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Justincase said:
Hello,
I'm in the process of applying for Canadian Citizenship. I'm sending a copy of my HighSchool diploma and transcript, which I received in USA. Do The copies need to be certified ?
I have read conflicting opinions on this, with some people even claiming that transcripts must be in an unopened envelope, coming directly from the school. However, I see nothing about that in the instructions. I would say, especially when it comes to the USA, that a simple photocopy of a diploma is sufficient evidence. CIC knows that the medium of instruction in U.S. high schools is English.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

"Have you completed a secondary or post-secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad?

If yes, send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program."

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
You need to send the certified copies only if your documents have been translated into English or French. If your documents in English or French you do not need to certify them.