+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have the right to work in Canada ?

Mar 8, 2016
I was born in Toronto in 1984 to British parents working in Canada. At 3 my mother moved back to the UK with us, my dad stayed for a few years and then also returned to the UK. I currently don't have a Canadian passport, however I have a Canadian birth certificate...... I want to move to Canada, however I'm unsure if I have the right to a passport or to work in Canada ??!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Hi Heather,

Looks like you may already be a citizen, if your parents were not diplomats. Check this link from CIC:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/index.asp

Mar 8, 2016
Thanks I did read that, just wasn't sure if it was a simple as having a Canadian birth certificate guarantees me a passport. No my parent were not diplomats

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Heather.mckenzie25 said:
Thanks I did read that, just wasn't sure if it was a simple as having a Canadian birth certificate guarantees me a passport. No my parent were not diplomats
You were born in Canada--you are a Canadian citizen. You have a right to work in Canada.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Since you already have an original Canadian birth certificate, things are quite easy. Just check this page and select that you are applying from outside the US and Canada:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/new/apply-how.asp

You mostly need to fill out a form, get some photos, send the birth certificate and find guarantors. If you don't know any Canadian citizens that can vouch for you, there are other options available, see link above.

Passports are getting processed within days or weeks, so things should go smoothly.