+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI & Intake Change after first semester

Plopes

Jan 17, 2024
HI Everyone,

I recently withdrew from my course from Algoma University - Brampton after completing my first semester on January 15th. reason because I got an admission into University of Winnipeg in Manitoba as my Husband who is on spouse open work permit is also working as a HR manager in Manitoba.

Now my next intake will start in September 2024 which means i have a more than 150 days gap for my next intake to start. Now I know that I cannot work till my next intake starts.

But my question is, can my husband still continue to work on his open work permit? will there be any issue on my study permit or my husband's open permit? what is the solution in that case?

Please help meanwhile I am also trying to get admission for May 2024 Intake instead of Sep 2024 intake.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI Everyone,

I recently withdrew from my course from Algoma University - Brampton after completing my first semester on January 15th. reason because I got an admission into University of Winnipeg in Manitoba as my Husband who is on spouse open work permit is also working as a HR manager in Manitoba.

Now my next intake will start in September 2024 which means i have a more than 150 days gap for my next intake to start. Now I know that I cannot work till my next intake starts.

But my question is, can my husband still continue to work on his open work permit? will there be any issue on my study permit or my husband's open permit? what is the solution in that case?

Please help meanwhile I am also trying to get admission for May 2024 Intake instead of Sep 2024 intake.
When did he get his OWP and when did he start working in Winnipeg? If he was joining you in Canada how come you are not living together? Did he move to Brampton? The SOWP is supposed to allow you to join your spouse in Canada. You seem to be the one joining your husband in Manitoba but he is not the primary applicant.

Plopes

Jan 17, 2024
When did he get his OWP and when did he start working in Winnipeg? If he was joining you in Canada how come you are not living together? Did he move to Brampton? The SOWP is supposed to allow you to join your spouse in Canada. You seem to be the one joining your husband in Manitoba but he is not the primary applicant.

So, we both came together to Canada in month of September 2023 and lived together for 3 months and major reason to move to Manitoba was ,my husband getting a job in his own profile and i have also got accepted in university of winnipeg , and he got a job in Manitoba end of December 2023 and he moved there on 1st Jan 2024 as his Date of joining in Manitoba was 2nd Jan and now i too got my DLI changed so i will be flying to Manitoba on 27th Jan.

Hope this answers all your questions.:)

Last edited: